Author Topic: Power ball, vs Quartz, vs ceramic Metal halide lamps  (Read 876 times)
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Power ball, vs Quartz, vs ceramic Metal halide lamps « on: April 18, 2021, 12:35:40 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
What are the pros and cons of each and what is best overall? I've seen all these different variations in existence and have a rather small understanding of it.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Power ball, vs Quartz, vs ceramic Metal halide lamps « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 07:47:25 PM » Author: sol
There are two main groups of metal halide : quartz (older) and ceramic (newer). The quartz is basically a mercury vapour lamp with added salts to correct colour rendition. They typically only get to about 60ish CRI, which is better than most "colour corrected" mercury vapour (/DX, /N, etc). Then came the ceramic metal halide, which is basically a modified HPS arc tube (same ceramic material) but shaped more like the quartz metal halide ones. It also, I believe, has more mercury than a HPS lamp. They are of course all pulse start. With careful dosing of salts, combined with fine tuning the pressure (which takes it a step further with electronic ballasts), the CRI can be improved to over 90.

PowerBall is merely Osram's  (and by extension, Sylvania's) trade mark name for their line of ceramic metal halide. Philips has CDM, PowerTone, while GE has ConstantColour.

I find myself preferring the Osram/Sylvania PowerBall lamps because, to my eyes, they are more pleasing. Of all ceramic metal halide, the 3000K PowerBall lamps resemble incandescent lamps the closest.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Power ball, vs Quartz, vs ceramic Metal halide lamps « Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 06:35:05 PM » Author: Rommie
We've got a 150W Powerball lamp, I agree that the 3000K is excellent and the one I prefer if needing white light.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Power ball, vs Quartz, vs ceramic Metal halide lamps « Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 07:26:39 PM » Author: joseph_125
I'd always thought the Powerball lamps also had a more spherical arc tube compared to the older Philips CDM line. Of course, the newer Philips CDM lamps all seemed to have adopted the spherical arc tube too as opposed to the cylindrical one they originally had.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies