Author Topic: Why are so many members opposed to using step up transformers?  (Read 769 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Why are so many members opposed to using step up transformers? « on: April 23, 2021, 02:15:17 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Whenever I see that many members in North America look at lighting that requires a mains supply that is higher than 120v such as 208v, 240v, 277v, 347v, and 480v, I see that they often think that such lighting is useless. I wonder why most North American members are so opposed to getting step up transformers for running light fixtures and control gear that require a mains supply that is higher than 120v?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why are so many members opposed to using step up transformers? « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 08:11:15 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
I'm not familiar with how to use them.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Why are so many members opposed to using step up transformers? « Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 10:38:21 PM » Author: joseph_125
I have a fairly hefty 2kVA 120v to 240v step up autotransformer and I still prefer using 120v lights for the ease of being able to run my lights without needing a external transformer. I think for others it'll be the same. Another reason is cost as a 2kVA step up transformer isn't cheap, especially for the other voltages.

I'll consider a luminaire in a non 120v voltage if it's free or cheap but if I'm paying full eBay or retail prices I'd prefer to get a 120v or a multitap luminaire.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Why are so many members opposed to using step up transformers? « Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 11:20:53 PM » Author: Bulbman256
They are pricy and my bulb budget every year is a shoe string. :P

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Why are so many members opposed to using step up transformers? « Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 03:01:20 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I have a 120-240v step-up transformer, and its great to have for testing (or running in temporary setups) 240v stuff like the fluorescents with UK ballasts I've got.

But for 'normal use' its not something I'd want...an extra 'box' to have on the lights, and another level of inefficiency. 

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Why are so many members opposed to using step up transformers? « Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 06:56:28 PM » Author: Binarix128
A simpler way of getting 240v from 120V is by running the light between two phases, if your house is wired that way, as far as I know almost all modern houses and apartments have run on two phases there. The electric grid here is 220V, so I have a 200W (the VA are not stated in the lavel) 220V to 110V and vice versa transformer, if I happen to need to power up a 110V light.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies