Author Topic: Did Philips sabotage their last batches of SOX lamps?  (Read 724 times)
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Did Philips sabotage their last batches of SOX lamps? « on: February 08, 2024, 12:08:55 PM » Author: HIDLad001
I have heard some people say that Philips SOX lamps made at Hamilton in the last few years (2018-2021) had some serious quality control issues and would fail after only a short time of being in service. I have even heard some people saying that Philips intentionally sabotaged the lamps made during that time to try to get people to switch to other light sources (like LED).

Can anyone speak from experience and prove or disprove this theory about the quality of some of the last SOX lamps that Philips made?

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Did Philips sabotage their last batches of SOX lamps? « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 02:06:38 PM » Author: RRK
There was an interesting technical discussion with James about dark barium getter bands around the cathodes of last Philips SOX lamps. Probably no one sabotaged intentionally, but as product line goes into obsolescence and is prepared to be axed, management becomes reluctant to invest any more money to keep manufacturing level, and also quality control begins to slip. That does not happens only with lamps, as you may have noted multiple times, the same happens with most other products in the course of their lifetime...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 11:02:58 PM by RRK » Logged
Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Did Philips sabotage their last batches of SOX lamps? « Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 12:00:11 AM » Author: Richmond2000
another issue that often crops up as soon as you ANNOUNCE a production change / termination to your suppliers they often will stop production of components "early" to be able to retool and pickup a replacement contract order
and it is not unheard of for component suppliers having to restart production OR outsource if they fall short of expected orders and understandably the supplier is NOT overtly concerned on quality as they already "lost" the contract
Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Did Philips sabotage their last batches of SOX lamps? « Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 06:40:41 AM » Author: Laurens
In those years, Philips was right in the process of (and/or just shortly after) spinning off their lighting division into Signify. Reorganisations are often a source of demotivation and a loss of instititional knowledge from a company, reducing plant efficiency and output quality.

I reckon for Signify, who of course see the future of lighting as 100% solid state, the legacy hot glass stuff is a major liability. Anything made out of glass - save for a few specialty specialty lamps - is in decline. So i reckon that they wanna get rid of the expensive old folks with the knowledge about specialized glass making ASAP.

It's highly likely that the folks working in the factory see such things coming from miles away and start to slack off a bit, because they know that putting any energy into maintaining the production lines in good condition might be energy that's completely wasted.
No one is gonna bother putting in the energy to absolutely perfectly dial in the decades old machines, when rumors start to circulate that the plant will be shut down anyway. So eventually only the bare minimum is done to keep the lines running for just another couple of days, and another couple of days, and another couple of days until the stop production order arrives. 

So in short - any decline in quality is likely caused by a series of different factors, for instance knowing that the end is near anyway and losing institiutional knowledge in the reorganisations. Actual sabotage is unlikely.
It's pretty similar to what happened with the final series of TV CRTs which were highly mediocre in quality.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 06:44:32 AM by Laurens » Logged
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Did Philips sabotage their last batches of SOX lamps? « Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 12:45:37 AM » Author: 108CAM
I started wondering the same thing after looking at my 2 18w Philips Master SOX-E lamps which are the same age and both NOS from what I know.

Here's a photo of my 18w lamps and you can see the difference.

The bottom lamp looks how I'd expect a new SOX lamp to look. Clean tubes with minimal blackening. This lamp appears to have been powered once, likely at the factory for a test run or quality check however the top lamp looks like it's almost at EOL with the tubes showing significant blackening around the electrode coils.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 06:04:30 PM by 108CAM » Logged

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Did Philips sabotage their last batches of SOX lamps? « Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 01:37:54 AM » Author: AngryHorse
James has actually covered this exact topic on here somewhere, and no they didn’t, the same manufacturing processes were followed to the letter, right up to the very last lamp.
But this phenomenon wasn’t exclusive to just Philips, GEs last SOX were also plagued with the same quality issues giving some lamps just a few months in service until things started to go wrong!

Now the last LPS from Osrams Shaw factory on the other hand didn’t suffer with any quality issues that I’m aware of?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Did Philips sabotage their last batches of SOX lamps? « Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 10:05:29 PM » Author: RRK
In fact, you probably did not get the idea of what James said completely. I asked why newer Philips lamps had that unsightly black sputtering 'socks' at discharge tube ends. James reply was that it is some barium intentionally sputtered from the filaments for the getter action, BUT in the earlier lamps a special machine with a photo control was used to dose a precise amount of barium sputter at that process stage. When machine got broken, management decided not to bother to restore it, and instead excess amounts of barium was sputtered on the fixed time. That's why that black socks on the new lamps, and yes, technology was intentionally degraded...

« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 10:14:08 PM by RRK » Logged
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Did Philips sabotage their last batches of SOX lamps? « Reply #7 on: February 28, 2024, 01:28:40 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Well no, you’re just referring to your post on the barium question, the quality question was raised in the discussion about the end of SOX manufacturing back in a 2019 post.
This is where James had stated the same quality had been adhered to right to the end of the last day of production.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Did Philips sabotage their last batches of SOX lamps? « Reply #8 on: March 03, 2024, 08:53:09 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
From 2018ish on the T8s have not been very good either.  Much shorter life, across all 3 brands.  For buildings I have been relamping fixtures that were changed out just a few years ago, when they would previously go 6+ years.  Be it on new or older ballasts. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Did Philips sabotage their last batches of SOX lamps? « Reply #9 on: March 03, 2024, 09:44:45 PM » Author: Patrick
Are those standard T8s or the extended life XL lamps?  Are they experiencing cathode failures, mercury starvation, or gas contamination?

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Did Philips sabotage their last batches of SOX lamps? « Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 12:29:10 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Standard.  I've not installed any XL since before 2018. They are going EoL much quicker.  The Philips weak cathodes are not quite as bad on the newer tubes, surprisingly.  Not seeing mercury starvation quite as much on the GEs and Philips as they were prone to in earlier years.  They are just getting black ends quicker and going EoL. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Danny

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Did Philips sabotage their last batches of SOX lamps? « Reply #11 on: March 10, 2024, 11:59:58 AM » Author: Danny
I would not say they have sabotaged the last of the Philips SOX lamps. In my experience their SOX lamps especially 55w and 90w have always varied massively in how long they last. Some of them especially 2010 onwards can do anything between 6 months and 7 or 8 years. 2012 13 14 and 15 seemed to be the worst years with lamps of the above wattages doing just a year or two in service and the odd one doing 4-6.

35w i have always known to last quite well. Same with the 135w lamps if the caps did not burn out.

The philips lamps have always been worse than the Osram or Radium lamps that philips made for them! But i have heard that them lamps were made to Osram / Radium spec by philips which is why they lasted a lot longer. Those were doing 6-9 years in all wattages
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies