Author Topic: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting?  (Read 8802 times)
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #15 on: June 24, 2022, 05:53:24 PM » Author: HIDLad001
Surprisingly, only a couple times by my younger brother, of course.

HID Fixtures should stay HID!
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #16 on: June 25, 2022, 12:36:35 AM » Author: Burrito
I was bullied for my liking as well as my family too

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #17 on: June 26, 2022, 06:39:33 PM » Author: RadiantMV
I have a lot of “weird” hobbies, and lighting is probably the one i get ridiculed the least for. Is someone is gonna attack me for my hobbies they have much better choices.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #18 on: June 26, 2022, 07:33:44 PM » Author: Lumex120
A little bit, but I have other interests that I've been ridiculed for far worse. I don't really tell anyone about them because of this.

Unofficial LG Discord

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #19 on: June 27, 2022, 01:49:55 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Not really no. I'm not particularly secretive about it either.

I'm on a completely unrelated board that is centered around exploring abandoned buildings and they find it neat or are indifferent.

I've told many friends and most just are indifferent or if they're exposed to the hobby enough they end up becoming well versed in it which I find both cool and amusing. I find it amusing because they don't really become collectors themselves. .. but they end up knowing alot more about lighting than alot of folks.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #20 on: July 01, 2022, 08:00:34 PM » Author: 108CAM
The only time I could say I was ridiculed for my interest in lighting is was that time I said that SOX wasn't fully monochromatic. The thread clearly stated how you perceive the colour of SOX and I was trying to post my honest opinion but instead of getting a response like "Interesting perception", my opinion was ignored and a member who I won't name insisted that SOX was truly monochrome despite the title of the thread stating how you perceive the colour. Ever since that incident, I have been too scared to state my own opinion on the colour of SOX. I wish people wouldn't do this as it hurts my feelings and I've had to pretend to have a different opinion just to avoid the backlash for saying SOX isn't monochrome. I should be able to state my opinion on anything I want without being hassled because someone doesn't like it. 

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Gearjammer
Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #21 on: July 01, 2022, 09:05:54 PM » Author: Gearjammer
I wouldn't say I've been ridiculed but more like overlooked because of my interest revolves around incandescent, which isn't necessarily the most popular light source here.
Also I get discouraged that I can't take certain pictures of lamps lit up especially my color fluorescents as I have a simple camera, nothing fancy like many others.
Sometimes I feel bad that since I don't spend large sums of money on rare HID lamps or cobraheads the pictures for the most part don't earn much interest or have in the past generated a few complaints about the camera quality.
All of this has really got to me to the point where I no longer have any interest in making uploads anymore.
The ones I made since I returned I was very proud of but out of all of them only 5 members took any interest.
And one picture was ignored altogether while another was seriously derailed, which really angered me especially after I was deleted on someone else's picture for making a reply to another member's comment.
So I've decided to go more silent and look and enjoy the pictures here as a magazine and leave the comments to the better informed.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #22 on: July 01, 2022, 09:22:03 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I have noticed that the interest on LG in different types of lighting goes in cycles.  :wndr:
For a while there was a lot of interest in the beautiful old incandescents that Daniel uploaded, then another type of lighting took the spotlight.  :bulbman:
It's the way of the world that some pictures get comments and some don't.  :(
If you've posted several of the same lamp it is a struggle to know which to comment on, I for one like to leave a different comment on each picture and not 'copy and paste' some banal comment or even worse just say 'cool'  :curse:

Well, that's my ten pence worth.  :-*

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Gearjammer
Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #23 on: July 01, 2022, 09:53:24 PM » Author: Gearjammer
Who knows what it is.
I can't predict what is enjoyed here but one thing I have noticed in being affiliated with this site for 2 years is that it always seems like the pictures that you think won't generate much interest are the ones that have comments a mile long.
Anyway whatever it is I've lost all heart in posting for lack of interest and derailments so I'll leave it up to the professionals.
I'm sure I'll find something along the way that's interesting.
But agreed I hate those word replies, I mean really why even bother.
I find it more of an insult.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 09:55:25 PM by Gearjammer » Logged
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #24 on: July 01, 2022, 10:33:01 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I honestly don't care what others think ! I do what I do and collect what I collect . If I post a photo and no one bothers to comment , all I can say is "Their loss !! "

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Gearjammer
Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #25 on: July 01, 2022, 10:53:35 PM » Author: Gearjammer
Best advice I've heard all day Tim! Thanks buddy I needed that!
It's the same thing my father would have told me and interestingly enough you're both paint and body men who like the local auto racetracks.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 10:56:18 PM by Gearjammer » Logged
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #26 on: July 01, 2022, 10:55:36 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
No problem !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #27 on: July 02, 2022, 12:28:45 AM » Author: Bulbman256
I do what you have said Tim, simply I really don't care about it. Most of the time my hobbies seems too weird or to interesting to be poked at, and well it's fun bringing it up at seemingly unrelated times. It also helped a hell of a lot with physics class, most of the EM wave stuff I already knew about.

Jamie I get the incandescent thing, Having seen the tail end of them and with them gone now I try and collect them but they seem to not be of great interest. I say that you continue to view the great incandescent lamps that you are interested in and comment on them, you and a few others have been a great help with identifying things in m tungsten collection. As Tim said, they lose out by not seeing your collection. 8)

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #28 on: July 02, 2022, 06:35:06 AM » Author: HIDLad001
Not really, I usually keep that stuff to myself. My friends probably wouldn't care but I don't want to risk it because I have a good amount of friends. My parents know if my interest, my mom loves MV and the fixtures that hold it. So my answer to this question is no.

I don't really like to share much about my interest in lighting. The most I've ever shared, is that I'm interested in lighting.

HID Fixtures should stay HID!
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022

Molly

View Posts
View Gallery

The wild Lampent hates LEDs!

mollylovesreptiles UChSn_GuLy2eE43RAiEFyoEw mollylovesreptiles
Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #29 on: July 03, 2022, 09:58:40 AM » Author: Molly
Administrators, if this breaches site rules, please let me know.

I don't know if there is already a topic about this, but I have been ridiculed for my interest in lighting ever since I was in kindergarten. I was teased, made fun of, and even bullied for it. My parents don't really care for my interest, which is why I don't trust them. A lot of kids say that they hate lighting. For example, I asked one kid what his favorite ceiling fan brand was, and he said, "I hate ceiling fans." I don't know if he was being legit, or if he was saying it to offend me. This ridicule has resulted in negative things about myself. It's the reason why I only have two friends who actually care about my interests. It's the reason why I believe Lighting-Gallery is one of the only places, if not, the only place where I belong. Have there been similar instances with any of you?

I had a pretty bad start as well. My parents tried to break me out of the street lighting photography hobby ever since I started in 2018. They don't care about my interest in street lighting and will not let me collect them because they think they hobby is "stupid". I made a good friend around that time who also has an interest in street lighting and we talked for several years and now we're still friends. On L-G, I met some people that have the same hobby as me, as well of Facebook groups.

If you want to use any of my photos, please ask me for permission, and make sure to add credit. Thank you! :love:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies