Author Topic: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting?  (Read 9194 times)
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #45 on: October 22, 2023, 06:55:21 PM » Author: 108CAM
I got kicked off a Facebook group because I asked a question about removing part of a streetlight from the arm without using heat because I didn't feel safe using heat.
I was actually given a final warning less than 5 minutes before I was removed and 2 members stood up for me but to no avail.
The worst part is that the others thought I was rejecting their suggestions that involved heat when it was actually a couple of misworded messages whose replies had some spelling and grammar mistakes that I couldn't understand.
When I asked for clarification and sent what I thought was a friendly message about the grammar, someone said "I'm sorry for helping" but with a swear word and lowercase I in the sentence.
Next, the member left because they were getting stressed but when they sent their message to tell the others that they were stepping away, they called me "Mr. Moody" and I was shocked.
I can't explain the rest because it's too stressful and I was recently diagnosed with PTSD. I also felt like throwing my lights off the 2nd floor balcony in anger but I didn't do that.
I now have to find another group to serve as a replacement for the group I was removed from

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #46 on: October 23, 2023, 12:22:20 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
On Facebook, there were some collectors that have ridiculed me for running European 4 foot 36W T8 fluorescent tubes in my vintage 1940s North American 4 foot 40W T12 preheat fluorescent tube fixtures even though I constantly kept showing proof that the European T8 tubes consistently worked in my vintage preheat fixtures with 2 lamp ballasts with “brick” style casings and kept telling them that the European 36W T8 fluorescent tubes had the same arc voltage drop and operating current as 40W T12 fluorescent tubes and don’t damage the ballasts like North American 4 foot 34W T12 fluorescent tubes do because of the lower arc voltage drop of the North American energy saver 4 foot T12 fluorescent tubes. I also told them about the exception of the European T8 tubes having problems with later North American 2 lamp 40W T12 preheat fluorescent tube ballasts with smaller cases. Even though I kept telling them the information that I knew from more experienced collectors, they kept telling me to stop running European T8 tubes in my vintage North American 40W T12 preheat fluorescent tube fixtures over and over again.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #47 on: October 23, 2023, 11:51:51 PM » Author: joseph_125
I suppose it's not all or nothing, you can keep a stub Facebook account with a random picture as the profile picture, keep only the people you want to keep in touch with, block all the people from the old group, don't join any new groups and use it only to keep in touch with friends and family and for marketplace.

The same goes for other social media like Reddit too,
Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #48 on: November 26, 2023, 03:33:30 PM » Author: Maxim
For me, it's a mix of both. When I first expressed to my family my interest in lighting, my mom was supportive but my dad was not. He called the hobby "ridiculous" and "unnecessary." Then, I managed to convince him to purchase the RoadFocus luminaire for our yard (trying to be as technical as possible and act as if I knew w thing and wasn't just mindlessly collecting.) He reluctantly agreed, and he purchased the luminaire for $20 + $30 shipping.

After that, he calmed down a bit. He stopped his little LED rampage where "every lamp type other than LED is old and obsolete" and even allowed me to purchase a new set of F96T12 Slimline tubes before they're banned off of store shelves. Little things like these that he stopped protesting. I can install whatever lamp I choose, I can go thrift shopping and buy lamps (as long as the final cost stays under $15 per each lamp run), I get the final say in terms of what kind of light to use for whatever application, etc. It feels nice to be respected for who I am instead of ridiculed. I think my dad now understands that my interest in lighting is my drug and my alcohol. While many kids my age smoke pot and vape, I use my time enlightening myself with knowledge on anything that has electricity flowing through it. Just a thought.

In regards to friends, I share my lighting interests with my closest friends and even some adults in school. Some understand and even call me / send photos of interesting fixtures when they see them (and even get me a few from the thrift store once in a while), whilst others don't really understand but still respect it for what it is. Some think it's odd in a way, but also neat.

@108CAM, try to focus less on the little things: the snarky insults, the feuds with internet jerks, the lack of a much-desired fixture. You should instead try and focus on the things in life that bring you great joy; the things that make your life worthwhile; the special connections you make with other individuals or collectors. Cause honestly stress and thinking about all of these negative things will only make your existence more labored. If you just try to focus your attention on the things that bring you great joy, you will find yourself to be a happier, more fulfilled person. :)

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #49 on: December 11, 2023, 06:57:15 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Everybody is very supportive for me, even buying and scavenging lamps for me. One reason could be that some don't know about warm white leds and so scavenge for incandescents.

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
245v 50Hz

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #50 on: December 11, 2023, 11:21:48 AM » Author: HIDLad001
@Maxim I am glad I was able to help you find that Roadfocus! As far as the drugs and alcohol analogy goes, that is the best thing I have heard today!  :D
My parents are also sensible about me collecting lamps, as long as I have the room for them, and I don't spend TOO much money on them.

@LightsAreBright27 People usually don't even bat an eyelash when I salvage lamps that have been thrown out. I asked the lady at the hardware store if I could have bulbs from the CFL recycling bin, and she said yes and even gave me a bag to take them with!

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #51 on: December 11, 2023, 11:39:51 AM » Author: Maxim
Alex, thanks so much for that link.

We originally purchased one, then later bought a second because my dad realized what he was getting for such a low price. They'll be installed this coming spring. And regarding the drugs and alcohol metaphor, my parents had the same reaction, whilst also acknowledging the truth contained within it. Lol.

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Mr Lamp

View Posts
View Gallery

UC4cgSO7ARvVgpX4tpKegf5w
Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #52 on: March 06, 2024, 10:23:20 AM » Author: Mr Lamp
Gonna put my answer for the original topic: I might have been ridiculed for my lighting interest some time ago, but that's not the worst. Some adults (mainly school teachers) just limit my lamp related talking, especially with property managers and caretakers! They think that "I'm talking about lamps too much". If you want to hear more I can tell better stories.
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #53 on: March 07, 2024, 01:57:30 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Many of us lighting enthusiasts kinda have a special thing with our obsession/hyper focus on lighting.  I have since I was about 10 years old or so.  Long story for another time.  But with that being said-  it generally is wise to keep it mostly to ourselves.  Others just don't get it and they don't want to get it.  Even those who work in the industry.  On rare occasion you'll find another person who loves to chat it up as much as you do, but that rarely happens.  That's what these forums are for.  Most of you are in your younger years (under 25) and as someone who is in mid-life and has had a sort of lighting obsession and has been able to play with lighting to my hearts content for much of the past 10-15 years, I can say that a good portion of the "obsession" will eventually wear off, just as it should.   Far more important things in life to be focused on.  But doesn't hurt to keep it as a side hobby.  I now find myself appreciating the better color and tones of LEDs more and more, but see myself keeping fluorescent and incandescent lighting around to some degree for the rest of my life.  Something about the 60hz buzz of an old magnetic T12 ballast is soothing.  The more I drive around, the more I appreciate the 3000 and 4000K LED upgrades, as the lighting quality is better vs the boring and dull High Pressure Sodium.  I do still hate mandates though. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #54 on: March 07, 2024, 05:47:58 PM » Author: 108CAM
I once had someone call me a goose for trying to take a photo of an old spotlight mounted on a building. With the exception of the normal human reaction you get when someone calls out to you, I just ignored the person and continued walking.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #55 on: March 07, 2024, 07:35:11 PM » Author: Rommie
People can call me what they like as long as they don't call me late for dinner  :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Danny

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #56 on: March 10, 2024, 12:31:58 PM » Author: Danny
I have never been ridiculed for it, a few people think it is a little unusual but on the whole most people are surprisingly accepting of it.

I have had 2 or 3 GFs in the past that have been fully accepting of my hobby and collection and have never dissed it in any way. Although i do not really like sharing it with younger non collecting people as sometimes the loud young lads like early to late 20s early 30s can take the piss a bit. I did have some workers in my house fitting a new kitchen in summer of last year that had a bit of a laugh over it as they wanted to take photographs to show the others. but TBH although at the time i was not best pleased, i reluctantly laughed along with them.  it was no big deal and once they left, that was the end of that and  i am unlikely to ever see them again.

But usually most people that come into my house just more seem interested rather than take the piss.
LightbulbManiac

View Posts
View Gallery

LightbulbManiac

Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #57 on: April 23, 2024, 04:09:09 PM » Author: LightbulbManiac
Not exactly.
Usually I bring lightbulbs with me to school, just to keep myself entertained. When people see them they always ask me "Why?"
And the issue is that I don't really know what to tell them except for "I just like it, it's my hobby and interest."
Thankfully, they accept me for who I am, and they don't laugh.
(Nobody really even cares about me or notices my existence in school except for 2 of my friends.)

I'm not a big fan of led bulbs since they're the cause of other COOLER technology types being phased out....

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #58 on: April 24, 2024, 07:21:17 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
I carried around things related to my interest, I became known for it in a comedic good way. The only problem is all my lamps which are good to hold are rare or I only have one of them. I used F40T12s as a stick, when I found them while walking with my friends.
Here, if you do something random again and again, you get known for it in a comedic way. I still remember the guy who used ram sticks as a scale in school, it became a trend and the highest capacity would win.

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
245v 50Hz

TheDischargeGuy16

View Posts
View Gallery

SGS 203

Re: Have you been ridiculed for your interest in lighting? « Reply #59 on: April 24, 2024, 11:14:38 AM » Author: TheDischargeGuy16
Well, here in Romania if you don't like anything other than cars, sports and other ,,normal'' hobbyes you are called crazy.
I once told a friend that i like lights and he started hysterically laughing and told the whole class and they laughed at me :'(
My dad and my grandparents think that my hobby is stupid but my mom is very supportive of me and lets me bring home any fixture or lamp.

LED hater since born

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies