Author Topic: Wanted: HPS retrofit lamps for CWA ballasts  (Read 744 times)
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Wanted: HPS retrofit lamps for CWA ballasts « on: June 24, 2023, 12:22:39 PM » Author: HIDLad001
Does anyone know where I can find a high pressure sodium retrofit lamp that would work on a CWA ballast? Most of the ones I find are designed for a reactor or HX ballast, but those are quite hard to find and CWA ballasts are much more common.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Wanted: HPS retrofit lamps for CWA ballasts « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 12:24:56 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Any specific wattages?

I know that the Iwasaki Sunlux Super Ace, Iwasaki Sunlux Uktra Ace, and Philips Retrolux lamps are specifically designed for retrofitting mercury vapor lamps on CWA ballasts as well as HX autotransformer ballasts and series choke ballasts.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wanted: HPS retrofit lamps for CWA ballasts « Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 01:03:32 PM » Author: HIDLad001
Any specific wattages?

Ones designed to replace 175w (H-39) and 250w (H-37) mercury lamps, since those two ballast types are the most common.

Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wanted: HPS retrofit lamps for CWA ballasts « Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 02:36:45 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Here is one designed to replace 250w lamps:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/150751252071

Here is one designed to replace 175w lamps:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404313650146

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wanted: HPS retrofit lamps for CWA ballasts « Reply #4 on: June 24, 2023, 02:52:51 PM » Author: HIDLad001
Also, did they make versions for replacing 100w (H-38) mercury lamps?

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wanted: HPS retrofit lamps for CWA ballasts « Reply #5 on: June 24, 2023, 02:56:20 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
No, not in North America, but the closest that you can get for retrofitting a 100w H38 mercury vapor CWA ballasted fixture is to use a Sylvania 69w/108w SPX Eco Arc lamp designed for the European market. If you were to use a 100w H38 mercury vapor HX autotransformer ballast, a European 70w internal ignitor high pressure sodium lamp can suffice.

Here is one of those Sylvania 69w/108w Eco Arc lamps:

https://www.outletdellelettrico.it/home/17071-18433-spx-ecoarc-69w-e27-polv-co-1800-k-5410288208008.html#/1-condizione-nuovo

You might have to use google translate to translate the Italian into English. You can download the google translate app, take a screenshot of the website and get the webpage translated if you click the camera icon inside the app.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 03:14:24 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wanted: HPS retrofit lamps for CWA ballasts « Reply #6 on: June 24, 2023, 03:26:46 PM » Author: HIDLad001
My 100w mercury vapor (actually 70w metal halide with no igniter) ballast is a HX-HPF type, so the 70w SON-I should work.
BTW What is a good E27 to E39 adapter? Because the Eaton/Cooper ones won't even fit.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wanted: HPS retrofit lamps for CWA ballasts « Reply #7 on: June 24, 2023, 03:28:17 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
You could try looking for vintage ones. E27 base lamps should fit decently well in E26 lampholders.

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wanted: HPS retrofit lamps for CWA ballasts « Reply #8 on: June 24, 2023, 03:33:07 PM » Author: HIDLad001
I might also just modify my homemade fixture by cutting the outgoing cord in half and putting in a NEMA L6-15 twistlock plug and socket so that I can change lampholders depending on what kind of lamp I want to run, while still keeping the original ballast box.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies