Author Topic: can someone please explain the differwences in starters?  (Read 3357 times)
Walter Knox

View Posts
View Gallery

@WalterKnox
can someone please explain the differwences in starters? « on: April 09, 2021, 10:31:41 PM » Author: Walter Knox
okay, so I know the difference between the FS-2 and FS-4 and FS-5 starters. my question is the FS-2 FS-22 and FS-25. from what I can understand the FS-22 is for a 22 watt circline lamp, the FS-2 is for 14,15 and 20 watt lamps and the FS-25 is for 18,20 and 25 watt lamps. but from what I have seen they all work interchangeably. I have a 22 watt circline fixture that has an FS-2 starter in it because i did not have an FS-22 and it works fine, I have seen FS-22 starters on 15 watt aquarium lights that came that way from the factory. last week I was helping my uncle with his crab cage light because it was out, it is a 25 watt lamp, the starter that was in it was a standard FS-2 and it was that way from the factory. worked fine for almost 12 years on a timer every day. we got the FS-25 starters because that is supposedly what a 25 watt lamp needs, and it worked fine. but it was a pack of 2 so i took it home to play with and just as i thought the FS-25 worked just fine for a 15,20 and 22 watt lamp. so my question is if the FS-2, FS-22 and FS-25 all work interchangeably and the lamp and starter life does not seem affected by using the incorrect one, what is the difference or purpose of having the different types?   
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: can someone please explain the differwences in starters? « Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 02:02:04 PM » Author: Foxtronix
My memory is kind of rusty when it comes to fluorescent stuff...

But if I remember correctly the gas bulb inside FS-4s and FS-12s need around 200V to ignite, while all the others can ignite off mains (open circuit) voltage, so they're pretty much interchangeable. Same thing for FS-4s and FS-12s.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies