Author Topic: Utility Pole Renewals on overdrive  (Read 1204 times)
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Utility Pole Renewals on overdrive « on: May 12, 2021, 05:42:33 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Here it seems like every time you turn around there's new poles replacing the old ones. It's kind of making me mad to see all of the oldies go. What's annoying too is that there's still some poles that have been awaiting to be hooked up since 2017! It's also annoying when they replace poles that are only a few years old or in perfect condition!

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Utility Pole Renewals on overdrive « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 07:28:06 PM » Author: Xytrell
It's quite arrogant of you to assume you know the pole's condition better than the utility company. Have you done any quantitative testing of your own or are you going on looks alone?
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Utility Pole Renewals on overdrive « Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 08:16:12 PM » Author: Binarix128
Here it seems like every time you turn around there's new poles replacing the old ones. It's kind of making me mad to see all of the oldies go. What's annoying too is that there's still some poles that have been awaiting to be hooked up since 2017! It's also annoying when they replace poles that are only a few years old or in perfect condition!
Are they wood, concrete or steel poles? With wood poles that frequent change would make sense, as they could be supporting a lot of weight in a hot humid zone, so they rot and weaken faster. Concrete and steel poles can remain untouched for decades and still being strong, so changing them frequently wouldn't make sense, unless the operation conditions are like holding the weight of a car in an ambient like the deep Amazon.
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Utility Pole Renewals on overdrive « Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 08:20:51 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Are they wood, concrete or steel poles? With wood poles that frequent change would make sense, as they could be supporting a lot of weight in a hot humid zone, so they rot and weaken faster. Concrete and steel poles can remain untouched for decades and still being strong, so changing them frequently wouldn't make sense, unless the operation conditions are like holding the weight of a car in an ambient like the deep Amazon.
They are wood poles. It just seems like they’ve been replacing a lot lately.
It's quite arrogant of you to assume you know the pole's condition better than the utility company. Have you done any quantitative testing of your own or are you going on looks alone?
Looks, those ones were installed in 2013 I believe. I wasn’t trying to be arrogant, I was saying how they’ve been changing lots of poles lately, including fairly new ones.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Utility Pole Renewals on overdrive « Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 11:08:43 PM » Author: Cole D.
In my area, they were replacing some wooden poles with metal ones a few years ago. The pole outside my house is actually stamped 1974, so it's older. It's actually older than the houses it supplies.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Utility Pole Renewals on overdrive « Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 03:09:33 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
In my area, they were replacing some wooden poles with metal ones a few years ago. The pole outside my house is actually stamped 1974, so it's older. It's actually older than the houses it supplies.
The pole behind my house is older than my house too. I’m guessing it once supplied the house that used to be in the field behind it.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Utility Pole Renewals on overdrive « Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 03:41:23 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Yep, today I saw even more poles with new ones next to them and dozens more with ribbons around them. I swear, nothing old is going to be around in the next 5 or so years.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies