Author Topic: What did you do today NOT lighting wise  (Read 76540 times)
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #525 on: May 11, 2024, 10:38:18 AM » Author: joseph_125
Just spent 5 hours... attempting... to drill out a broken bolt in my rear strut mount of my sport car. Failed miserably.
I've tried right handed drill bits with penetrating oil, left handed drill bits with penetrating oil, several extractors
including the famous "Grabit" extractors. Everything failed, miserably. The Grabit extractor actually slipped out of the
drill.
Either the drill is very weak, or maybe I'm doing something wrong.
And yes, I reversed the drill for the extractors and the left handed drill bits.

I find drilling out stuff like this, it's critical to use a quality drill bit. I usually go with a decent cobalt bit, those go through steel a lot easier than standard HSS bits. The other option would be to attempt to cut the bolt. I used a dremel to cut the bolts on my sway bar links when I replaced them. 
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #526 on: May 11, 2024, 10:43:33 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Running the drill slowly is a must as turning it at a high speed just generates heat and kills the bit quickly !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Mandolin Girl
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #527 on: May 11, 2024, 01:16:54 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Bought a new tuner for my mandolin.  8)
It's one of these, Ria has got one, and as my Snark is always playing up I got one as well.  :love:
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #528 on: May 11, 2024, 02:35:10 PM » Author: suzukir122
Speaking of brakes, my motorcycle has no rear brake as of now. The brake pads are completely gone and it's been this way for a very long time.
Literally every part of the rear brake will be replaced soon though. Until then, I usually rely on engine braking, and I stay OFF the highway, at all costs.
As for drilling, I've completely given up, and I've got help on the way for my situation. Someone is going to be working on my sportcar. Very interesting
mechanic. I'll type more about this once/if it's completed successfully.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #529 on: May 11, 2024, 03:05:58 PM » Author: Laurens
Yeesh, a set of brake pads is like 35 euro at worst for a suzuki, and takes 15 minutes to swap if stuff isn't rotted in place. Even when you gotta do a complete overhaul (been there, done that... twice) you'll need those pads anyway.

Replace them. You now only have one brake. If for some reason that one fails unexpectedly, you'll have zero brakes. Riding a motorcycle is dangerous enough as it is, it's inconceivable to me how anyone could ride for a long time with a non functional safety critical device. This is exactly the sort of stuff that pushes governments towards mandatory safety checks for vehicles...

I know the front delivers most of the brake force, but the rear's not just for slowing down - it's also for stability.

What my day was like:
I spent 5 hours riding around the polders of Noord Holland. Since the big national medium wave transmitters have started to close down, space opened up for low and medium power AM transmitters. Once every so often i track one down. Get a bearing with a portable radio with ferrite antenna, mark on map. Ride a bit more. Get another bearing, see where lines on map intersect. Go to that point, get another few bearings around that area.

Took me several hours, i got bamboozled by a ham radio operator's antenna system which was a kilometer or so apart from the little AM broadcast station. Almost called it quits at the ham's setup, but i noticed that my portable radio wasn't being overloaded by strong local signals, so concluded that couldn't be it. Eventually i ended up in a residential neigborhood, and there i saw a basic wire antenna in someone's backyard. That was the one!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 07:00:25 PM by Laurens » Logged
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #530 on: May 12, 2024, 12:35:34 AM » Author: suzukir122
... I did it. It's done. My sportcar is back on the road... finally. I found out an interesting thing online recently:
Apparently there are local Mobile Mechanics available near me, 24/7. I called one last night, and he showed up at 1:20am!
He began work on the car but he could not complete it since he didn't have all the tools required. He showed up for more work around 4pm today.
That stuck broken bolt was also seized, so when drilling it out, he was unsuccessful multiple times.
Anyways, he managed to install the new bolt, as well as the new rear strut that I ordered. The car is driving as if it was never sitting in
a garage for over four months, which is great. I plan on oil changing it tomorrow.
Since that is now out of the way, tomorrow I also plan on cleaning my sportcar as well as my entire garage. But before that, I will be installing
my final two magnetic QMH Wallpacks, AND taking video of them firing up.
I can finally give my motorcycle a rest, and do some fixing on it sometime soon... including/especially the rear brake.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #531 on: May 12, 2024, 07:38:08 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Remember how random kids ask if your pphone has games at family reunions? Well i was a victm with my drawing tablet. Some kid cracked the front glass so bad, it made a hole where water slipped in and ruined the display. Lesson learned.
(sorry for spelling error, im typing on my pibook with a microscopic keyboard)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 07:43:00 AM by LightsAreBright27 » Logged

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
One of the only Indian members here!
245v 50Hz

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #532 on: May 12, 2024, 03:49:26 PM » Author: suzukir122
@LightsAreBright27, how did that kid end up cracking the drawing tablet? Also, how did water manage to slip in it? lol

Today I got stuff done, successfully. Replaced my serpentine belt in my sportcar since the old belt was squeaking insanely loud... cleaned the entire
car as well. Before that, I installed my final two Wallpacks for my garage... so I'm now running eight Metal Halides in that garage. Eight!!
So the car wash was very easily done since I could see everything perfectly fine.
I haven't oil changed my car yet... and I may not do that today. I also haven't taken video of start up of my Metal Halides yet, but I will do that at
some point today.

Interests:

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #533 on: May 12, 2024, 07:51:00 PM » Author: Cole D.
This morning, I went to a flea market, ate breakfast at Taco Bell, then went to Lowes and Goodwill and then the gym.

I got home, ate lunch and did a load of laundry. Then I started breaking down some boxes and throwing out some trash.

It was quite a busy day for me! Usually Sundays are my day of rest!!

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #534 on: May 15, 2024, 05:47:06 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Today, I found my childhood graphics card, the nvidia geforce 7200 gs. I got the card brand new but was kept in an storage container for a year. Due to this, the VGA pins broke off and the fan support broke (if fan used it will hop around loosely). So little me taped another fan on and used adapters. Even today, it still works.
The only reason I got it during that time was not to play games, but to get aero theme on windows 7.
I am still waiting to find more of my old computer stuff :) .
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 06:21:31 AM by LightsAreBright27 » Logged

245v 50Hz

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #535 on: May 16, 2024, 10:43:34 PM » Author: suzukir122
Today I got a little more done... changed the oil in my sport car around 2am in the morning, (took five hours, since the oil filter was stuck.)
and... bought a GoPro Hero 10. First GoPro I've ever bought so far. I'm planning on doing what's called "Motovlogging" with this GoPro... vlogging while
I'm on my motorcycle. Major event: this is something I've wanted to do since 2009, before I knew about Lighting Gallery. For me, this is a big deal.
However... the GoPro features are endless. Insanely complexed... so I'll be trying it out once I have more time. I also need an SD Card, and a microphone
to install into my helmet, etc.
I've also talked around with a few friends to see if they want to go to "Cars and Coffee" in Dayton Ohio on May 25th, since I'll be off work that weekend.

Interests:

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #536 on: May 17, 2024, 04:31:59 PM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Adding on to me finding my old computer stuff, I found my two old 160gb hard drives.
Even though one of them still works fine, the other had a broken sata data connector (it was sitting in improper storage long before I got it), I had to balance the cable on what's left of the pins to get it to work.
Unfortunately, it's now making a repeated clicking and screeching sound (only started doing it recently), probably its last few hours of life :'( (it was my main drive) and the other was wiped.

It booted up instantly when I found it (this morning), but now it takes ages to boot up.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 04:38:45 PM by LightsAreBright27 » Logged

245v 50Hz

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #537 on: May 23, 2024, 08:44:50 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Spent the past 2 days helping my friend with a 2000 BMW 528i wagon change the oil pan gasket. Hellish ordeal on those cars, had to drop the whole sub frame out, unbolt the motor and support it from above, and degrease the entire lower engine bay with about 3 cans of brake clean. Quite the messy affair, but its doing well for 260,000 miles now despite the coolant issues and the cancer rust per BMW standards... :mrg:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #538 on: May 24, 2024, 08:39:56 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Sounds like fun...NOT !!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #539 on: May 29, 2024, 07:54:22 AM » Author: AngryHorse
We’re down on drivers today at work, so in between maintenance work I’m currently taking cars round to our paint shop, so far I’ve taken 2 BMWs, a Merc and a SEAT, as well as sort a signal issue out on the main gate and fit a new airline in workshop 1 😎

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 55,394 hrs @ 1/6/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies