Author Topic: How to store lamps without the original packaging  (Read 737 times)
Desultory13
How to store lamps without the original packaging « on: June 08, 2021, 05:21:47 PM » Author: Desultory13
Hi all!
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on the best way to safely pack up and store both incandescent bulbs and fluorescent tubes that don't have their original packaging??
Is there a good way of wrapping or boxing them up??
Sure would appreciate some help.
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to store lamps without the original packaging « Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 05:46:49 PM » Author: James
For FL I think there is no substitute for trying to get hold of some sleeves from modern lamps, and to stack them vertically.  Older FL lamps have a nasty habit of ringing off at the ends if stored horizontally with nothing between them.

For incandescents, I find that boxes of low height are best.  So long as you don't end up stacking lamps on top of each other, then gravity cannot do its damage of causing scratches at the points of glass-to-glass contact.  Lateral contact between adjacent lamps is fine because then there is no force applied and almost no risk of forming microscopic scratches that weaken the glass.  For larger size incandescents or in case you have no choice but to stack them vertically, a thin layer of soft paper or bubble wrap between the layers will help avoid any damage.  When I had to move house I got hold of a large quantity of banana-type boxes that are robust and only about 6" deep, and packed many lamps in these.  They are strong enough that you can stack the boxes high in storage, and they carry the vertical load without applying any forces on the glass.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How to store lamps without the original packaging « Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 06:14:42 PM » Author: Rommie
What I do is to make my own wrappers from some corrugated cardboard, which I bought a big roll of from eBay, and some sheets of white or brown paper. I end up with a wrapper that looks a bit like these, although sadly without all the pretty artwork.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: How to store lamps without the original packaging « Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 06:17:48 PM » Author: Bulbman256
What I do is to make my own wrappers from some corrugated cardboard, which I bought a big roll of from eBay, and some sheets of white or brown paper. I end up with a wrapper that looks a bit like these, although sadly without all the pretty artwork.

Draw your own lamp art then! ;) 8)

As for me i have them in these containers with a storage handle and these 4X4 dividers inside to hold the lamp, and the other ones are in a plastic drawer thing that i wrap the lamps in bubble wrap, its certified for cross country movement if need be. :D

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: How to store lamps without the original packaging « Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 12:39:36 AM » Author: joseph_125
Fluorescent lamps - I generally store those in an original case vertically. Most common lamps are stored loosely. Rare lamps like the PG I have a special case with dividers made from cardboard.

Incandescent and small HID lamps - generally stored loose in a small plastic or cardboard bow with a lid. Special lamps get bubble wrapped first.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How to store lamps without the original packaging « Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 08:47:31 AM » Author: Rommie
Draw your own lamp art then! ;) 8)
Ah, I know my limitations; sadly, drawing is not something I have ever been any good at  :-\

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to store lamps without the original packaging « Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 09:18:03 AM » Author: funkybulb
 For Fluorescent  in 4 footer I used a large box like washing machine comes in and store all my lamp vertically.  The rare
Stuff get sleeved and put in flourescent tube case.

F14- to F20  i find a legal size file cabinet works best

Ps 25 and PS 30 incandescent  and BT25 and BT 28. I find boxes from liquor store works best as those comes with Dividers to keep bottles banging into each other.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies