Author Topic: In which cases does a lamp/ballast mismatch cause instant lamp/ballast burnout?  (Read 967 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
In which cases does a lamp/ballast mismatch cause instant lamp/ballast burnout? « on: June 30, 2021, 04:44:41 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
In most cases, mismatching lamps and ballasts typically causes overheated ballasts, cycling lamps, decreased lamp life, and all sorts of problems. In most cases, the problems tend to arise after a couple of minutes or a matter of hours. In rare cases, if you know what you are doing, a lamp/ballast mismatch can also allow the lamp to run properly and the ballast to run without any issues. I wonder if there are any cases in which a lamp/ballast mismatch causes instant lamp burnout or instant ballast burnout?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: In which cases does a lamp/ballast mismatch cause instant lamp/ballast burnout? « Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 10:26:38 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Never known ballasts to instantly burn out, wire wound ballasts are pretty hard wearing!, lamps too have pretty good thresholds of ‘overload’, I’ve had T5 8 watt tubes burn out within a couple of minutes, but this is running them to the extreme on the likes of 250 watt gear!!
I once, ( out of interest ), ran an EOL 18 watt SOX on a 400 watt mercury ballast, ( please don’t try this people )!, it fully ran up within about 25 seconds!, but the tubes glass started to mutate and change shape right in front of my eyes!, at which point I turned it off.
Really stupid I know, as it could have very easily exploded in my face, but the fact the discharge actually started and ran up shows what tolerances extreme miss matches of lamp and gear will handle!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 10:30:28 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies