Author Topic: How do EOL fluorescent tubes behave with an air thermal starter?  (Read 1469 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
How do EOL fluorescent tubes behave with an air thermal starter? « on: July 22, 2021, 12:42:10 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
From what I understand, air thermal fluorescent starters often strike fluorescent tubes in ways that are similar to HID lamps. We all know that EOL fluorescent tubes strobe indefinitely when used with glow starters, but I am wondering how EOL fluorescent tubes behave when used with an air thermal starter since I have not seen any videos that show EOL fluorescent tubes on air thermal starters.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How do EOL fluorescent tubes behave with an air thermal starter? « Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 12:53:18 PM » Author: sol
I’m guessing they flash but slower than ones on glow starters.
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How do EOL fluorescent tubes behave with an air thermal starter? « Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 02:18:08 PM » Author: Michael
From what I understand is that the here in Switzerland used to be quite common Knobel “Perfektstart” thermal (air) starter ballasts are trying to start a tube after about two seconds of preheating the cathodes and with a audible “ping” the tubes turn on. On an EOL tube the starter tries to start the tube with the same manner but as soon as the tube ignites it its brightness fades out until the thermal starter resets and kicks in again and brings the cathodes in incandescent mode and the procedure continues again and again. If a tube has one open cathode then it will stay off as the circuit is interrupted.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies