Author Topic: Why are CWA ballasts more common to find than HX Autotransformers?  (Read 1940 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Why are CWA ballasts more common to find than HX Autotransformers? « Reply #15 on: September 05, 2023, 12:42:54 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I can’t find my Sylvania catalog right now, but I seem to recall that ULX880 lamps were restricted to operation only on 480 volt reactor ballasts. Could have changed in later catalogs?

I think the catalogs specifically mentioned the 480V series choke ballast compatibility was probably due to 1000W H36 mercury vapor HX autotransformer ballasts being discontinued early on. Even then, they could still be safely operated on the 120V 60Hz 1000W H36 mercury vapor HX autotransformer ballasts that I found in the GE I-line ballast compatibility brochure.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 12:45:57 AM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why are CWA ballasts more common to find than HX Autotransformers? « Reply #16 on: September 06, 2023, 08:12:52 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
The CWA ballasts that "are not compatible with MV" were just made after 2008. I have lots of Advance 175's around here, some made before 2008, some after. They are all the exact same with the exception that "175W Mercury Vapor" was removed from the sticker!
Lampwizard

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why are CWA ballasts more common to find than HX Autotransformers? « Reply #17 on: September 07, 2023, 08:46:20 AM » Author: Lampwizard
Some 101 on CWA and HX:
https://hid.venturelighting.com/TechCenter/BallastTypes.html
https://www.ballastrus.com/support/CWA-ballast.html

Philips colour 27: best fluorescent tube colour.

Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

HID lighting is the best!!!

Re: Why are CWA ballasts more common to find than HX Autotransformers? « Reply #18 on: September 08, 2023, 01:53:55 PM » Author: Robotjulep
Very helpful information. Thank you!

I collect:
Light bulbs, fixtures, and gear,
Electric motors (Preferably AC induction motors),
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies