Author Topic: How much server storage space does LG currently use?  (Read 690 times)
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
How much server storage space does LG currently use? « on: August 11, 2021, 03:41:14 PM » Author: HPS_250
This is just a question that I’ve wanted to ask since I’m interested in knowing how much total storage space this site uses. I’d imagine a couple of terabytes at least, considering that the total would include all uploaded photos, forum posts, accounts, comments, etc, plus the site software itself.

Do any of the admins have access to the total storage usage of the site? Again, I’m just interested in knowing - if you don’t have access to this information it’s fine.

I don’t collect lighting, however I have always been interested!
I enjoy photography, making videos, and will be here to photograph street and outdoor lighting.

Other interests include hiking, nature, biking, as well as identifying and photographing birds and plants.

sox35
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How much server storage space does LG currently use? « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 03:53:35 PM » Author: sox35
You'd have to ask Patrick, he's the webmaster. I don't have access to that level of the system.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end :love:

Administrator, UK and European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch
:love:

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: How much server storage space does LG currently use? « Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 03:54:23 PM » Author: HPS_250
You'd have to ask Patrick, he's the webmaster. I don't have access to that level of the system.

He would probably have access to that information since he is the webmaster for this site. Thanks for the reply though.

I enjoy photography, making videos, and will be here to photograph street and outdoor lighting.

Other interests include hiking, nature, biking, as well as identifying and photographing birds and plants.

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the SOX!

Re: How much server storage space does LG currently use? « Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 02:32:57 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it's somewhere in the exabytes.

Interests: sprinklers, fire alarms, warning sirens, fans, and mostly lights

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: How much server storage space does LG currently use? « Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 03:22:05 PM » Author: joseph_125
So using the file count in the last uploads plus the off topic section in the gallery, there are approximately 18000 images on LG. Assuming the max upload size of 8mb per picture (which is quite an overestimation considering 2mb would probably be the average). The total size of that comes to around 140GB.

There's also the forum but text dosen't really take up that much space and LG doesn't really host videos anymore.

This is just an estimation based off the number of pictures uploaded. Patrick would be able to provide the actual size of the storage consumed.
sox35
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How much server storage space does LG currently use? « Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 03:40:59 PM » Author: sox35
Actually, there are a lot more images than that, the 15,000 count you're looking at only covers the last 500 pages. If you add up all the figures from each category, you get 159,423 images, which at 8MB per picture gives 1,275,384 MB or 1,275 GB or thereabouts, depending on whether you count in 1000's or 1024's  ;D

The site does compress most uploads though, so assume 2MB per photo, that brings it down to 318 GB if my brain is calculating correctly.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 03:53:43 PM by sox35 » Logged

It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end :love:

Administrator, UK and European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: How much server storage space does LG currently use? « Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 04:26:52 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Ahh good old confusion between megabytes and mebibytes, forever confusing generations... :P ::)

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

sox35
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How much server storage space does LG currently use? « Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 05:51:51 PM » Author: sox35
It's still 1-2-3-lots, however you look at it  ;D

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the SOX!

Re: How much server storage space does LG currently use? « Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 10:37:24 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Ahh good old confusion between megabytes and mebibytes, forever confusing generations... :P ::)
Here's the full list of metric prefixes:

Yocto (y): septillionth
Zepto (z): sextillionth
Atto (a): quintillionth
Femto (f): quadrillionth
Pico (p): trillionth
Nano (n): billionth
Micro (µ): millionth
Milli (m): thousandth
Centi (c): hundredth
Deci (d): tenth

Deka (da): ten
Hecto (h) hundred
Kilo (k) thousand
Mega (M) million
Giga (G) billion
Tera (T) trillion
Peta (P) quadrillion
Exa (E) quintillion
Zetta (Z) sextillion
Yotta (Y) septillion

Interests: sprinklers, fire alarms, warning sirens, fans, and mostly lights

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: How much server storage space does LG currently use? « Reply #9 on: August 14, 2021, 12:40:02 AM » Author: HPS_250
Yeah, based on all of the responses here I’d estimate that the total storage space used by the gallery part of LG is about 1-2 TB. Once you add in the forum it could be 3 TB or so, but likely not much more since text doesn’t take up too much storage space.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: How much server storage space does LG currently use? « Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 11:31:26 AM » Author: joseph_125
Actually, there are a lot more images than that, the 15,000 count you're looking at only covers the last 500 pages.

Ahh, I wasn't aware of that little tibit, I thought the count in the last uploads represented the whole site. For the record, I usually count by 1024 as I feel that the proper way to count bytes.  ;D

I wonder how many pictures on here run close to the 8mb limit though. I usually upload at 2465X1644 @ 75% jpeg (3072x2051 for collages to preserve detail) and I usually average around 1.25mb per upload. I believe the early images are all 1024x768 and those would probably only run about 500kb max.
Print 
© 2005-2021 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines