Author Topic: what causes this?  (Read 957 times)
LampLover

View Posts
View Gallery
120/240VAC @ 60HZ

GoL PeterYachymczyk UCYBAif_ag4v8nIcCU3VAmag
what causes this? « on: August 17, 2021, 02:51:05 PM » Author: LampLover
I'm in an older super cuts that still uses the old 3 lamp f32t8 troffers one lamp is flickering on one side about 3" or so from the end and it has rings in in to about the center of the lamp. The other end is fine as are the other 2 lamps and fixtures I assume instant start but not 100% sure as I didn't see them get turned on.

LED Free Zone!
All For HID, magnetic rapid-start Preheat & old-school electronic Only (no instant start F17T8 & F32T8 allowed)

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: what causes this? « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 04:16:07 AM » Author: Medved
Does it uses electronic (HF) or magnetic (60Hz) ballast?

With an electronic the arc sometimes tend to swirl and dance on the electrode, yielding some flicker there. Sometimes it goes away after some hours of an uninterrupted burn, sometimes it likes to stay dancing.

With magnetic it could mean one cathode is dying (but still able to hold the arc), so causes the cathode dark band to be larger, so that section then glows only when that side is the anode, so the 60Hz flicker.

Unless it gets annoying, you dont have to worry about that.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies