Author Topic: Refrigerator lights  (Read 1310 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Refrigerator lights « on: September 03, 2021, 10:15:36 PM » Author: Cole D.
We were looking at refrigerators today and I noticed something new. I thought all new refrigerators just have integrated LED lights with plastic covers. But today I saw that some refrigerators actually still have a light socket with a replaceable LED appliance bulb in it, in the refrigerator and freezer compartments.

I didn't realize that they still made refrigerators with actual replaceable bulbs in sockets, so that is a good thing.  :)

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Refrigerator lights « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 10:52:07 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
I've seen new refrigerators with E26 sockets as well. I would use an LED in a fridge because the constant switching will damage and weaken the filament in an incandescent.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Refrigerator lights « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 11:14:01 PM » Author: Cole D.
I know our old refrigerator had an incandescent 40W bulb in it, and I don't remember it ever burning out. Also our big freezer (all freezer unit) has the original incandescent bulb from 2013 and it hasn't burned out either.

But yeah, it is nice to see fridges still made with sockets.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Refrigerator lights « Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 11:16:09 PM » Author: dor123
I've seen new refrigerators with E26 sockets as well. I would use an LED in a fridge because the constant switching will damage and weaken the filament in an incandescent.
Switching on/off don't affect the life of incandescent lamps.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Refrigerator lights « Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 11:29:52 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Switching on/off don't affect the life of incandescent lamps.
This article says otherwise.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Desultory13
Re: Refrigerator lights « Reply #5 on: September 04, 2021, 12:08:48 AM » Author: Desultory13
While it is true that switching an incandescent bulb on/off can definitely affect it's life, incandescent appliance bulbs for refrigerators and ovens are by their design able to withstand constant switching.
It's not uncommon at all for a quality made incandescent appliance bulb to last 15 years or in many cases even longer.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Refrigerator lights « Reply #6 on: September 04, 2021, 12:50:17 AM » Author: dor123
All incandescent lamps can withstand constant switching. That why they can be used with motion sensors.
What more affects the life of incandescent lamps, is the burning position. My mother has been discovered that incandescent lamps, have significantly shorter life at base-down compared to base-up.
Appliance lamps have a special glass, that is immune to expanding as a result of the temperature different in a refrigerator.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Refrigerator lights « Reply #7 on: September 04, 2021, 04:56:11 AM » Author: Rommie
While it is true that switching an incandescent bulb on/off can definitely affect it's life, incandescent appliance bulbs for refrigerators and ovens are by their design able to withstand constant switching.
It's not uncommon at all for a quality made incandescent appliance bulb to last 15 years or in many cases even longer.

I remember the old Kelvinator fridge we had when I was growing up had a 15W pygmy lamp with an E14 cap; that bulb lasted from my earliest memories to when we moved out of that house when I was 17. Not once did it so much as flicker and I wouldn't be surprised to learn it was still going strong today.

We never had another bulb last as long, but they did last a few years each. Now we are stuck with a non-replaceable L*D (the only one in the house as we can't physically replace the thing) so what we'll do when that goes is anybody's guess  :-\
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 04:59:38 AM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Refrigerator lights « Reply #8 on: September 04, 2021, 05:27:30 AM » Author: dor123
My father Bloomberg refrigerator and my mother LG refrigerator also have non-replaceable LEDs.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Refrigerator lights « Reply #9 on: September 04, 2021, 09:16:47 AM » Author: Medved
Over nearly 40 years my memory goes, I remember fridge bulb with broken filament just oncd and even that was after not that careful moving of the fridge (it was already almost 20 years old at that time). But I do remember at least 5 cases of problems with the socket loosening or corroded (so the socket needing to be replaced).
So to me even a hard wired incandescent (so replaceable only by a qualified technician as a fridge repair and not by user) would mean 5x less problems with light in a fridge.
When the LEDs do not heat up even a bit, the socket reliability will be way worse than with hard wired LEDs.

And the filament does degrade when cycling, mainly when it is already designed to burn hotter (mainly halogens). The problem is uneven heating as it is warming up, the hot spots tend to concentrate the heat (higher resistance section dissipates more power) recrystalize and becomes brittle and breaks.
But the low power vacuum lamps need to be designed for way lower operating temperature to not evaporate that quickly, so even the hot spots are not that hot to cause significant problem...

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies