Author Topic: I'm going to get an aneurysm  (Read 5376 times)
boiledcabbages

View Posts
View Gallery

I'm going to get an aneurysm « on: September 04, 2021, 10:55:13 AM » Author: boiledcabbages
I just recieved the ignitor unit for my SOX-e 26W. I heard and felt something shaking about inside. And considering it's electronics I decided it's never a good sign so I popped it open to check.

My my this is turning into a headache of a project

Just a thread to share frustration. Leave similar stories. In case anyone is wondering have a look at attached picture.
boiledcabbages

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I'm going to get an aneurysm « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 11:02:44 AM » Author: boiledcabbages
And to add insult to injury the inside has a nice burnt electronic smell
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: I'm going to get an aneurysm « Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 11:13:47 AM » Author: Rommie
Oh  :curse: that's not good, I'll see what I can come up with, I'm sure I have a spare 35W ignitor somewhere, it may not be this model though, leave it with me for a day or three, there are a lot of boxes to look through  :poof:

Do try and get a refund though, and send them this photo to prove your case  >:(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

boiledcabbages

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I'm going to get an aneurysm « Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 11:29:22 AM » Author: boiledcabbages
Awww man if you could that would be absolutely amazing, though if you don't have any luck then no problem at all either. I'll also definitely be looking into a refund. I was thinking of also maybe using the HF SOX driver I had as an ignitor as that *will* get it lit then some sort of circuitry to switch between that and the ballast. Brings the phrase "How hard can it be?" to mind, lol.

Anyway mate if you do I will definitely be owing you a beer (at least). Thank you so much once again
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: I'm going to get an aneurysm « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 12:08:08 PM » Author: AngryHorse
That should re-solder right back on there?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: I'm going to get an aneurysm « Reply #5 on: September 04, 2021, 12:09:12 PM » Author: Rommie
Possibly, but he did mention a burning smell, which doesn't sound good  :-\

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: I'm going to get an aneurysm « Reply #6 on: September 04, 2021, 12:20:08 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Worth a try, save it going in the bin?, nothing ‘looks’ burnt out on that board?

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

boiledcabbages

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I'm going to get an aneurysm « Reply #7 on: September 04, 2021, 12:25:17 PM » Author: boiledcabbages
it *would* if it were broken cleanly. However the pins snapped right out of the inductor causing it to 'wind' back into the coil. I just took the inductor apart in the hope of rewinding the coil, and actually managed to do so with (hopefully) no hickups. but now it's gonna be attached to the board all loose. As far as burnt smell goes it definitely is there. but I don't see any schmoo on the board / components so I hope it's just the PCB itself that's old and was running hot or something to that effect. Now to just find an old soldering iron and pray to god I can do these thin cables

attached pic is pins still on board
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: I'm going to get an aneurysm « Reply #8 on: September 04, 2021, 12:28:05 PM » Author: Rommie
Haven't found a spare ignitor yet, but I'll keep looking.

boiledcabbages

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I'm going to get an aneurysm « Reply #9 on: September 04, 2021, 12:42:34 PM » Author: boiledcabbages
Well with any luck that won't be necessary. I did manage to rewind it as stated above. Not perfect but I'm counting on a few cm of wire not making too much difference to inductance. And by sheer dumb luck the way I chose to do it should hopefully just allow me to strip the ends of it and bind it to the posts that are still in the board. She won't be pretty but she should work (that being said I am still incredibly thankful for you and if you do find one pop me a DM and we can come to pricing agreements)
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: I'm going to get an aneurysm « Reply #10 on: September 04, 2021, 12:57:19 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Nice job!, even if it’s unsuccessful you at least manage a repair!, then again you could be pleasantly surprised  ;)

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: I'm going to get an aneurysm « Reply #11 on: September 04, 2021, 02:13:34 PM » Author: Rommie
We can but hope, always good to see some bodging, my other half Sammi is a world-class expert  ;D

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: I'm going to get an aneurysm « Reply #12 on: September 04, 2021, 02:30:56 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Yup, I learnt the art of bodging from my daddy many, many years ago.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

boiledcabbages

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I'm going to get an aneurysm « Reply #13 on: September 04, 2021, 02:47:52 PM » Author: boiledcabbages
Update on the bodge. You know it's proper when a hairband is critical to structural stability. To quote every Aussie ever "she'll be alright mate"

While I'm at it I'll also go ahead and do a final check on this wiring. I think I finally have a proper grasp on how this is working. Maroon = live and blue = neutral. Capacitor omitted since I don't have one and I'm guessing it's for PFC so I'm *hoping* it's not necessary so to speak. Let me know if it is though. Otherwise if not and it just makes it more efficient or something to that effect then I'm not gonna bother putting it in just yet

Cheers guys. You've really been a great help for this very niche topic
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: I'm going to get an aneurysm « Reply #14 on: September 04, 2021, 02:51:35 PM » Author: Rommie
Just seen you have an SX70, this is for a 66W SOX-E or a 90W SOX, not sure how a 26W SOX-E will react to this  :-\

Ideally you need an SX26 but these are like hen's teeth, but the SX72 for the 35W SOX lamp is a close enough match I believe.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies