Author Topic: Vintage Street Lamps  (Read 2547 times)
Dee

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage Street Lamps « on: September 18, 2021, 11:10:04 AM » Author: Dee
I have two old vintage 1950's gumball? street lights interested in selling.  I am not familiar with vintage lighting, so help in pricing would be appreciated but mainly looking for a home for them. 4147E III holophane glass globe, Westinghouse 4135 holophane glass, 2 metal shades, 2 bulbs, hardware.  nb I am located in Canada. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 11:18:22 AM by Dee » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Vintage Street Lamps « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 12:26:44 PM » Author: Rommie
You could post them in the gallery and put a link here, alternatively try reducing the image size. There are tools available to help you do this, but I use the facility offered at this website.

All you need to do is upload your image there, select the compression rate if necessary (although the default usually works) then save the results back to your computer.

Hope this helps.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Vintage Street Lamps « Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 08:20:44 PM » Author: lights*plus
What's the lamps watts? Which city or province in enormous Canada?
Dee

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Street Lamps « Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 01:08:46 PM » Author: Dee
The light bulb is marked 300W.  The housing is marked Powerlite 1140.
I am located in Ottawa ON
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Vintage Street Lamps « Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 04:07:45 AM » Author: lights*plus
These look very good in the attached pics and I've never seen a gumball "bowl" in the shape of a pot! I routinely pass Ottawa to get to my cabin so I'm going to PM Dee later on Friday.

Why is there no sealing gasket visible on the retaining ring or on the rims of the glass? They weren't installed outdoors?
Dee

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Street Lamps « Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 12:06:37 PM » Author: Dee
Can I have some feedback on pricing so I have an approx baseline?
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Vintage Street Lamps « Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 03:37:01 PM » Author: lights*plus
For any collector, like us here on LG, the price largely depends on completeness and condition. Both completeness & condition can be atrocious on some of these older lights, but rarely, they can be very good.

I can say that a complete but very used vintage gumball (outdoors & uncleaned), without a lamp or wire can go for only $50 CAD on kijiji or facebook marketplace. A cleaned up one with flawless, complete & ORIGINAL external & internal parts can be sold for $75-100 CAD, rarely more if it's an unusual model (Joslyns). Ebay is different in that sellers will mark up the price a bit to compensate for fees taken.

I can tell you that you are missing the internal reflectors for the glass shells. This would be fine for someone installing them indoors, but for us here it's a major flaw, since we want the lights as they were intended for streets. So it's hard to put a price.

I will PM you and make you an offer. You're missing the internal reflectors (they direct the light to the length of a street) but I see that you have pole brackets!
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Vintage Street Lamps « Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 03:45:39 PM » Author: lights*plus
I forgot to say about any included lamps. Mogul 300 watters are common and they can easily be bought new old stock for $10 to $20 each (yes NEW). On the other hand, if you have unusual wattages (series lamps had odd watts) or the high watt lamps, like 500w and 1000w, they can fetch about twice that for used lamps, new old stock maybe a tad more.

I've been as realistic as possible, but you'll find it harder to sell these old school stuff to the general public at the prices quoted.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 03:47:40 PM by lights*plus » Logged
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Vintage Street Lamps « Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 01:29:09 AM » Author: lights*plus
Shown here are 2 different types of internal lamp reflectors or shields.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies