Author Topic: Square D cube device on service line?  (Read 917 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Square D cube device on service line? « on: September 18, 2021, 04:20:07 PM » Author: Cole D.
When I was younger, we lived in a house built in 1992. It had a Square D 200 amp panel. Anyway, I remember where the service came into the house, that there was a cube shaped device that had the Square D logo on each side attached to the wires. It was yellow. Does anyone know what this was for? I have never seen another and can't find anything like to it. My guess is a surge suppressor.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Square D cube device on service line? « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 08:09:51 PM » Author: Rommie
Hard to tell without a picture. I've certainly not come across anything similar here. I checked and the Square D brand is now owned by Schneider Electric, I checked their website and can't see anything, so I don't know  :-\

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Gearjammer
Re: Square D cube device on service line? « Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 08:14:20 PM » Author: Gearjammer
Sounds like a lightning arrester for the breaker panel.
Square D used to make cube shaped arresters that attached to the side of the panel.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Square D cube device on service line? « Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 12:13:21 PM » Author: Cole D.
Ah, found one:

Square D

But it sure seems like it was installed on the wires going into the weatherhead vs the panel.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Gearjammer
Re: Square D cube device on service line? « Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 12:19:21 PM » Author: Gearjammer
The only cube shaped device installed on the wires going into the weatherhead that I can think of is a connector used by the power company to connect their triplex to the conductors from the meter.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies