Author Topic: Longshot: 55w SOX Lamps.  (Read 399 times)
subway5411

View Posts
View Gallery

Brett Bielecki

brettbie subway5411 brettb_5411
Longshot: 55w SOX Lamps. « on: October 11, 2021, 06:06:17 AM » Author: subway5411
I know this will probably get no replies whatsoever as people here tend to hang on to things with an iron fist (completely understandable), but it's worth a shot I guess. Basically, I am looking for some 55w SOX lamps. I have a good amount of 55w fixtures (and might get more as the ones around me fall) but barely any lamps on hand. The only ones I have are the (used) ones in the fixtures, and a couple old Osram ones I found at a ReStore long ago. I can not believe how hard it is to get 55w lamps now, I've just lost my second auction for a lot of lamps on eBay so I'm kind of accepting defeat here. (THERE WERE LIKE 10 ACTIVE BIDDERS, and the demand is UNUSUALLY larger than last year). This is all making me regret the opportunity I passed up last year of buying 40 55w lamps at $25 US each. Oh well. :-\

Anyways, point is if any members are willing to sell some 55w lamps, I will gladly buy or trade them for something in my collection. Please be reasonable/fair though, and don't be afraid to PM me if you have questions!

Thanks very much everyone!

Fixtures for trade:
- Norelco 35 watt Low Pressure Sodium Wallpack
- Thorn Alpha 4 (Bought from UK long ago, doesn't have ballast. Can provide a WH8 if required though)
- Westinghouse Viscount fixture (175w MV, unoriginal ballast)
- Sylvania R37 (175w Merc, unoriginal ballast)
- Sylvania R47 (100w HPS)
- Crouse Hinds OV-25 (100w HPS)
- 2 AEL 115's (I forget the wattages. Both HPS, one grey one painted)
- Landmark HPS Streetlights (100w HPS, Canadian revision of the AEL 113)
- And I might be willing to give up my 250w 240v OV-12.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 08:47:37 PM by subway5411 » Logged

Bring me back to the days when Low Pressure Sodium and Clear Mercury lit the way. :mv: :lps:
I also like electronics, vintage computers, ham radio/communications, and many other things!

Add me on Discord - @brettb_54#7371
<-- or my other social media sites!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Bodger extraordinaire - When in doubt, bodge.!

Re: Longshot: 55w SOX Lamps. « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 08:41:48 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Just a thought, if you hang onto a 55W lamp with an iron fist you might break it...  :mrg:

Sorry, couldn't help myself there... :-*

I'm afraid we don't have any spare ones.  :lps:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love:
Budding Author
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber (1894 - 1961)

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Longshot: 55w SOX Lamps. « Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 12:38:27 AM » Author: joseph_125
Unfortunately I only managed to get one 55w lamp before the price of them skyrocketed. If you're really up for eBay auctions again, the same seller has another lot of 4 Osram 55w lamps up for bid. Otherwise I suggest just checking eBay/Kijiji/FB Marketplace on a daily or even twice daily basis for them. Also make sure to check eBay.com instead of eBay.ca too. Some sellers don't list on eBay.ca but are more than willing to ship to Canada and for those who are not willing, just ship to a forwarder service in the US. You might even save money on shipping that way if your service lets you pick up locally in Canada.
subway5411

View Posts
View Gallery

Brett Bielecki

Re: Longshot: 55w SOX Lamps. « Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 11:40:45 AM » Author: subway5411
Ah! I got it!! I'm getting better at this whole eBay auction thing... the last two anxiety got to me and I panicked. Went in to this one with a more realistic bid limit and a "don't give a s***" attitude, and ended up getting them for just under $30 each shipping included. Not a bad deal... Just gotta keep building the stash I guess.

Unfortunately though, the fees for shipping and that mystery "import charge" that appears AFTER you win the auction are still insane. Oh well, still a good deal!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 11:43:46 AM by subway5411 » Logged

Bring me back to the days when Low Pressure Sodium and Clear Mercury lit the way. :mv: :lps:
I also like electronics, vintage computers, ham radio/communications, and many other things!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Longshot: 55w SOX Lamps. « Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 11:49:45 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Congratulations.! :-*

That's a very good price indeed, the rule of thumb for those lamps is about £1 per watt.  :wndr:

If you think those charges are insane, look at this.!!!  :poof: :curse:

Budding Author
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Longshot: 55w SOX Lamps. « Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 06:56:19 PM » Author: joseph_125
Ahh I'm glad you were able to win that auction. You got them for a pretty good price too. I paid more than that for a 35w lamp a couple of years ago.

For an eBay auction item, it's always best to bid at the last possible second to avoid a bidding war. Usually I aim for a price between what I think the item is worth and the maximum I'm willing to to pay for it. I always do it manually but there are services online that let you do it.

Yeah eBay now tacks on the import taxes if the seller has opted for the global shipping program (GSP). Before the GSP was a thing import charges were charged either by the courier itself in the case of UPS/FedEx/DHL or by the post office if they used a service that uses Canada Post. Canada Post was notorious in not charging import fees at times. Most sellers now use the GSP but there are some that still ship directly to you.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Longshot: 55w SOX Lamps. « Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 07:05:46 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Both Ria and myself use myibidder which is sniping software that submits your highest bid with five seconds to go on the auction.  :wndr:

It's no different from hovering over the keyboard to place the bid yourself, and very handy if the auction is due to finish at stupid o'clock.  :)

Budding Author

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Longshot: 55w SOX Lamps. « Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 12:18:55 AM » Author: lights*plus
@subway5411 well if you still need 55w SOX lamps (new or used) I can trade you some for the Philips MI 26. PM me for negotiations.
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Longshot: 55w SOX Lamps. « Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 12:26:13 AM » Author: lights*plus
Forgot to ask: Is that the 35watt Norelco all plastic wallpack you bought from me years ago? I had misgivings in selling it just a few months afterwards. Didn't I have a 55w lamp soldered in there?
subway5411

View Posts
View Gallery

Brett Bielecki

Re: Longshot: 55w SOX Lamps. « Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 01:45:21 AM » Author: subway5411
Hey George, yes it is! I'm at the point where I really need to go through/downsize my collection a bit, and I found I literally never used that Norelco fixture so I put it on the list of things to sell/trade/get rid of. You did have a 55w lamp bodged in there, but I put it back to 35w for originality right after I got it (and because I needed the 55w lamp for something else). One thing with that fixture though that is different; I ended up having to replace the ballast in it after the move. Not exactly sure what happened with it, but I'm sure vibrations from moving it across Canada (movers just wrapped it in a couple quilts and threw it in the sea-can) and it being stored for several years in the the cold Saskatchewan winters caused something to internally break/disconnect and the ballast no longer worked. I replaced the ballast with a much older Philips one out of a busted up Goldfinger fixture just to get it working again. (Pictures below if you're curious). Other than that, the fixture still looks good as new!

Other than that, I would be gladly willing to trade my MI-26 for some SOX lamps, as that's another fixture I rarely use. I'll PM you.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 01:56:43 AM by subway5411 » Logged

Print 
© 2005-2021 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines