Author Topic: What kind of cell phone do you use?  (Read 79908 times)
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #315 on: March 17, 2021, 10:09:39 AM » Author: icefoglights
I still have an old Nokia 3560 that I got 16 years ago.  It still powers on, but the TDMA network it connected to is long gone.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #316 on: March 17, 2021, 10:28:12 AM » Author: Rommie
Fortunately they have not switched off the 2G network that these use. I don't think they can easily, there are too many "phone home" remote monitoring devices that use it.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #317 on: October 18, 2021, 10:52:32 PM » Author: HPS_250
I use an iPhone 11, it’s perfectly fine for me and I don’t really think I’ll need to upgrade for a long time.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #318 on: October 19, 2021, 09:13:40 AM » Author: Rommie
We just don't trust anything "smart" - you don't know what they're doing or reporting in the background. We just want phones that make phone calls.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #319 on: October 19, 2021, 10:09:56 AM » Author: HPS_250
We just don't trust anything "smart" - you don't know what they're doing or reporting in the background. We just want phones that make phone calls.

I know what you mean, sometimes it’s unsettling to hear about how much data these companies collect from people without them knowing.
Apple at least gives me the option to turn off their ability to collect usage data and diagnostics, and I don’t use their cloud storage, so I think most of my data is safe anyway.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #320 on: October 19, 2021, 10:13:30 AM » Author: Rommie
The worst for data mining is Amazon, I saw a BBC documentary last year that made me close my account on the spot  :poof:

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Euro-Bulbs.net

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #321 on: October 19, 2021, 03:38:06 PM » Author: Econolite03
I use my smartphone regularly, but once I get my PC setup I’ll start using that more often.

Data mining? Does a Amazon employee with a hard hat walk into a data center with a pickaxe or something?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 04:54:19 PM by Econolite03 » Logged
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #322 on: October 19, 2021, 04:00:24 PM » Author: rjluna2
Data mining? Does a Amazon employee with a hard hat walk into a data center with a pickaxe or something?
:lol:

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #323 on: October 19, 2021, 07:09:11 PM » Author: Rommie
Let's just say that if you thought Google or Microsoft know a lot about you, they don't hold a candle to Amazon.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #324 on: October 19, 2021, 09:36:19 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Current cellphone is a Samsung, previous one was a Htc(still have but its pretty much useless now .lol. )
Also still have a land-line too.

---------------
Quote from: sox35
Let's just say that if you thought Google or Microsoft know a lot about you, they don't hold a candle to Amazon.
I block anything Micro$oft that I know of at the network level. I have zero interest in any of their online services, and deff no interest/want in anything beyond Windows 8.
To me Micro$oft is probably the worst one out there, with Google a close second.

Google I have to put up with some since my phone is Android, and I use YouTube (both for posting & watching vid's)...that said, I do block some of their spy/ad servers.
I'll never infect any of my computers with that vile-spyware-laden Chrome browser.
I also delete or disable all un-necessary apps on my tablets & phones (no do I install anything unless i really want it - like a certain weather app)

And Mac-In-Trash (also known as Apple)... don't believe that crap ain't spying on you!

I don't do Amazon. Most stuff I buy online is eBay. (And for general stuff that's available locally, I prefer to just go to the store...)

I also don't do Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/TicToc(the very worst of the lot)/etc/whatever else 'social media' is out there.

------
Oh and I'm fine with 'smart' devices (I have a smart-TV for example)...as long as they will function normally without being connected to the internet.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies