Author Topic: Centering text in gallery descriptions  (Read 282 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Centering text in gallery descriptions « on: October 15, 2021, 12:45:43 PM » Author: Rommie
For those members who are so far unaware, there is now a facility available on the site for placing text centrally in gallery descriptions, where a short piece of text can be centred under the picture instead of over on the left hand side.

If you wish, you can use the 'center' command so that they appear centrally when displayed:

This text will be positioned centrally

Code: [Select]
[center]This text will be positioned centrally[/center]*Note: You can copy and paste the above example as an easy tool and edit it*

Although this technique also works in forum posts, it's probably not a good idea to go overboard with it..! Here is an example of how it looks on the gallery.

If you have any queries, please let me or one of the other admins know.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end :love:

Administrator, UK and European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch
:love:

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Ban LG critics

Cameron_Ouellette_10
Re: Centering text in gallery descriptions « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 10:59:08 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Cool addition to the site! :)

Collector of any streetlight type, preferably HID.
Power Company: Eversource
Im proud to say my town is still HID!
Proudly suffering from Westinghouse Lifeguard disease!
I’m proud to say I’ve been to the EMEC service area with ZERO LED!
Also enjoys playing Basketball and Baseball.

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Centering text in gallery descriptions « Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 11:53:44 PM » Author: Patrick
Other BBCode tags you can use in the gallery include the following.

[b]bold[/b]
[u]underline[/u]
[i]italic[/i]
[color=COLOR_NAME]colored text[/color]
[url=http://linked.url/]linked text[/url]
[img]http://embedded.image.url[/img]
While everyone is invited to improve their layout using bbcode, please use these in moderation to augment the default styles.  Embedded images can enhance a posting by adding a small graphic, but can quickly clutter up a message if used in excess.  A bold heading can add emphasis, but don't make all your text bold to stand out from everybody else's.  Colored text may add a nice touch when discussing colored lamps, but don't make all your hyperlinks orange merely because you prefer the color.  So while light use of bbcode can spruce up your formatting, overdoing it will lead to inconsistencies.  I wouldn't want to see the colors or alignment of ordinary text varying from photo to photo and user to user.  So by all means, use the tags, but make sure you have a specific use case for why your text ought to be styled differently under the circumstances.  Obviously what constitutes a unique situation where formatting should be varied is subjective, so use your best judgment.  If I recall correctly, we added support for centering in gallery descriptions so that in the unique case where you have an embedded chart, you could align it with the main image.  That's not to say there aren't other valid cases for center or any other formatting, but should you find yourself adding a lot of extra bbcode in typical situations involving plain text, you're probably overdoing it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 12:27:18 AM by Patrick » Logged

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Bodger extraordinaire - When in doubt, bodge.!

Re: Centering text in gallery descriptions « Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 08:12:31 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
My feeling on using the bbcode is as you said to add emphasis, especially when it comes to hyperlinks.

As far as centring text in the descriptions my feeling is the same as Ria's, the only times I do it is definitely when the text on my screen doesn't get as far as the picture itself, or possibly if it doesn't reach the half way point of the picture, otherwise I leave it at the default setting.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love:
Budding Author
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber (1894 - 1961)

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Centering text in gallery descriptions « Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 07:36:10 AM » Author: rjluna2
More information on BBCode at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode :)

Also at https://www.bbcode.org/ ;)

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Centering text in gallery descriptions « Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 07:37:53 AM » Author: Rommie
As Patrick said though, please don't go overboard with these codes, they are intended to augment messages where necessary, not to use all the time.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end :love:

Administrator, UK and European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch
:love:

Print 
© 2005-2021 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines