Author Topic: Westinghouse OV-15 Restoration  (Read 5803 times)
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Westinghouse OV-15 Restoration « on: September 19, 2020, 04:41:33 AM » Author: joseph_125
I stumbled upon this video on YouTube documenting a amazing restoration job on a 175w MV Westinghouse OV-15. Way more meticulous than any of my restoration jobs lol.

YouTube link
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Westinghouse OV-15 Restoration « Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 02:54:28 PM » Author: High Intensity
I actually just came across this video a couple of days ago, I'm not sure how I missed this post, but I thought the guy did a really good job with it.
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Westinghouse OV-15 Restoration « Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 07:13:20 PM » Author: BT25
Nice job overall. Two points I found disappointing...he pulls a Sylvania H39KB-175 from a Lifeguard sleeve, and doesn't bother to buy and install an original Holophane 4215 lens. The installed GE/FP is ok, but it's still a GE in a Westinghouse Silverliner.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 09:03:08 AM by BT25 » Logged

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Westinghouse OV-15 Restoration « Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 10:08:35 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
Nice job overall. Two points I found disappointing...he pulls a Sylvania H39KB-175 from a Lifeguard sleeve, and doesn't bother to buy and install an original Holophane 4215 lens. The installed GE/Pyrex is ok, but it's still a GE in a Westinghouse Silverliner.

4215 refractors are not that hard to find either if you watch for them. I don't care for the look of anything but the 4215 in an OV-15. The M250R2 acrylic boxy refractors I do like in a variety of fixtures though. I like those in 113/115, OV-15, and some others.
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Westinghouse OV-15 Restoration « Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 10:24:15 PM » Author: High Intensity
I think it was mentioned near the beginning of the video that the "original" yellowed refractor was a GE, so I suspect that they bought a new GE refractor to match the GE refractor that was on the fixture. But yeah, for a true restoration, he probably should've used a holophane 4215 refractor, I just think he didn't know that the yellowed GE wasn't the original.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Westinghouse OV-15 Restoration « Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 04:10:43 AM » Author: joseph_125
Good eye on the Sylvania lamp being pulled out from the Lifeguard sleeve. I wonder if it's a eBay seller strikes again scenario. Yeah I figured the replacement glass refractor wasn't the correct OEM one but still looks a lot better than the yellowed plastic one it originally had.

Also I can't help but notice the shot of the PG17 lamps turning on at the beginning of the video in what looks like a Daybrite CFI industrial fixture.
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Westinghouse OV-15 Restoration « Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 04:29:13 AM » Author: Econolite03
Overall cool restoration. Yeah I was curious about the Sylvania, but it’s still a really nice lamp as I don’t see clear versions very often.
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Westinghouse OV-15 Restoration « Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 09:01:08 AM » Author: BT25
Overall cool restoration. Yeah I was curious about the Sylvania, but it’s still a really nice lamp as I don’t see clear versions very often.
I guess I'm a purist...I prefer a Westinghouse lamp in a Westinghouse luminaire. The Sylvania H39KB-175 is a good lamp in its own right though.

Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Westinghouse OV-15 Restoration « Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 05:05:26 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah I figured, I usually just use a lamp of a similar vintage or just any vintage lamp. If the lamp that came with it is still bright, I'll usually just end up using that too.
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Westinghouse OV-15 Restoration « Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 05:37:11 PM » Author: BT25
Yeah I figured, I usually just use a lamp of a similar vintage or just any vintage lamp. If the lamp that came with it is still bright, I'll usually just end up using that too.
I like to match up brands, and era. I usually don't keep any used lamps long term, unless they're something unique.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies