Author Topic: I "upgraded" the ballast in a 1960s louvered fluorescent fixture.  (Read 1071 times)
Walter Knox

View Posts
View Gallery

@WalterKnox
I "upgraded" the ballast in a 1960s louvered fluorescent fixture. « on: October 29, 2021, 01:49:28 PM » Author: Walter Knox
so, I will attach pictures of the fixtures that I did this to, I have posted them here before I think. they are 60s louvered fixtures that were originally rapid start magnetic. I have 3 of them and will be doing the same thing to the other two at some point as my plans for them are to install them into what will eventually be becoming my workshop over the benches. the reasons for doing this conversions were that they will be in a building that is not heated unless I am in it, so it is sometimes too cold for a magnetic ballast in the winter, I have a surplus of electronic ballasts I got for free as well as a huge box of f32t8 lamps that I need to use somewhere, so it just made since here. I did not hack up the wiring to the point where I would not be able to put a magnetic ballast back into them at some point, so that is good right? At least I did not put LED tubes in them. If anyone is interested I did make a video that I am currently uploading to youtube and will link when it is finished.
Walter Knox

View Posts
View Gallery

@WalterKnox
Re: I "upgraded" the ballast in a 1960s louvered fluorescent fixture. « Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 01:50:00 PM » Author: Walter Knox
the watt reducer ballasts that some of the fixtures had installed.
Walter Knox

View Posts
View Gallery

@WalterKnox
Re: I "upgraded" the ballast in a 1960s louvered fluorescent fixture. « Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 01:51:19 PM » Author: Walter Knox
the original Westinghouse ballasts that were in some of the fixtures, sadly someone had installed 34 watt lamps on them, so they were all leaking and got very hot, so I disposed of them as they were no longer usable.
Walter Knox

View Posts
View Gallery

@WalterKnox
Re: I "upgraded" the ballast in a 1960s louvered fluorescent fixture. « Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 01:52:11 PM » Author: Walter Knox
this one was the original ballasts (sorry)
Walter Knox

View Posts
View Gallery

@WalterKnox
Re: I "upgraded" the ballast in a 1960s louvered fluorescent fixture. « Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 02:20:10 PM » Author: Walter Knox
if anyone really cares, here is the (bad) video I made on this subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgRLTfWHLEY
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies