Author Topic: Should I pull the plug?  (Read 2123 times)
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Should I pull the plug? « on: October 23, 2021, 08:42:15 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Well...the neighboring town of Northfield has gone LED and I'm sure you can guess what they chose. I've had this wrote for about two years but have waited and I feel I need to send it. What is it you may ask? Well it's a email addressed to the town talking about an LED conversion using Black Leotek ComfortViews in 2700K. I ask for your thoughts because I'm ready to hit send at this point due to the fact that the Affinity invasion will hit Belmont if I don't act.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Gearjammer
Re: Should I pull the plug? « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 09:07:07 PM » Author: Gearjammer
If you feel like there's a specific LED light that would work better then yes by all means send it!
Send in your opinion. Let yourself be heard.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Should I pull the plug? « Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 09:10:41 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Considering most people get no choise whatsoever with these stupid leds, i encourage your voice to be heard, 2700k leds are better than 5000k by a long shot. :bulbman:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Should I pull the plug? « Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 09:13:43 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to make a trip around scouting for any lights that will need a picture. So please excuse the excessive M250R2s that may be posted. I really hope it works out in my favor. I also plan to assist in new fixtures being placed and if any need a wattage increase or decrease, also this will be the first NH town to have black streetlights all over.

thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery
All lighting except LED rules!

Re: Should I pull the plug? « Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 09:15:41 PM » Author: thelightingman
While you're at it, you should ask if you could save a few of the old lights.

I think HPS, MV, and MH rule! :mv: :mvc: :hps: :emh: Ban LED instead! :eoled:

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Should I pull the plug? « Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 09:25:02 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
While you're at it, you should ask if you could save a few of the old lights.
I actually thought about including that in my email if I could obtain some, most are just M250R2s but they might replace some MV too depending on if they'll replace trailer park lights too.

Joe Maurath, Jr.

View Posts
View Gallery

Transgender, Avid About Street Lamps, Insulators.

Re: Should I pull the plug? « Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 09:44:02 PM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.
Considering most people get no choise whatsoever with these stupid leds, i encourage your voice to be heard, 2700k leds are better than 5000k by a long shot. :bulbman:

Show images and tell the story about what Harrisville, NH has successfully done in preserving their old lights that are using clear LED lightbulbs. Albeit, the converted/restored old fixtures there have been taken down, cleaned, rewired and inspected to meet the utility's standards. If the utility has agreed to go along with this in Harrisville, then why not elsewhere served by the company? (Eversource). I am sure the Harrisville street lighting committee would be interested in assisting any other NH communities who reach out to them. If there is any town up there that has no desire to keep the old fixtures they still have in service and prefer new LED ones, perhaps they could be convinced otherwise (by doing the above). Beyond that, if still they vision their incandescents as having lived a good life and no longer want them, then there is little chance anyone is going to twist their arm and make them think otherwise.

"A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it."

Please refer to www.insulators.info where I periodically post many images of lights and insulators in the group's Picture Poster Gallery. Thank you.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Should I pull the plug? « Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 09:48:51 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
@joe, that was what I envisioned doing for the incandescent towns here. I plan to make a PDF to send to them. Belmont only has two incandescent fixtures and I’m not even sure if they would be replaced since they’re in a trailer park.

Joe Maurath, Jr.

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Should I pull the plug? « Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 10:08:17 PM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.
@joe, that was what I envisioned doing for the incandescent towns here. I plan to make a PDF to send to them. Belmont only has two incandescent fixtures and I’m not even sure if they would be replaced since they’re in a trailer park.

Be sure to include any pictures of the Harrisville program because they can be worth more than a thousand words. Steve Z did the restoration work on the fixtures. He can supply you with pictures of Harrisville's rebuilt lights (on display) and anything else that might be needed (particularly costs, how it can be done, etc.) perk up interest and get the ball rolling before the Eversource LED invaders clean out the town(s).

"A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it."

Please refer to www.insulators.info where I periodically post many images of lights and insulators in the group's Picture Poster Gallery. Thank you.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Should I pull the plug? « Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 12:03:58 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Here’s my letter so far, I’m still adjusting pieces as I think more about it. The blank spaces are things I took out for privacy, the letter actually says something where the blanks are.

Dear Town of Belmont,

Hello, my name is Cameron Ouellette, I’m a resident on ______ Street and a Freshman at Belmont High, I think it would be great to have LED street lights in our town. They are energy saving and produce a more white light and are more affordable than the High Pressure Sodium technology that our town has now. Accidents have been a big problem and more can be expected if this issue isn’t addressed. During this conversion, new fixtures can be added in neighborhoods and roadways that are a problem at night. Some lights should be added along the large roads such as 106, 140, and 107 where deer and other animals are regularly seen. I can be of assistance in helping identify which poles should get new lights installed and what wattage they could/should use. A few years ago, some LED lights were installed on route 106 and route 3, those 120 watt lights could also be replaced because LED technology has advanced more over the past few years that 80 watts is bright enough to replace 250 watt HPS, saving 40 additional watts from those original LEDs. The new LED lights will save the town thousands of dollars over the years, with some extra money to do other projects with. The light I would recommend for the town is the Leotek Comfortview for 50-150 watt lights and the GCM for 250 watt lights. The lights should use a black finish because it would compliment the history in the town and the black lights have a fancy and upscale look to them. The color temperature I would recommend with the Leotek lights is 2700K for smaller wattages and 3000K for larger wattages. The lights at parks and the town beach could also be replaced with the Leotek lights. Leotek has not had any reliability issues with their Greencobra lineup unlike more unreliable companies like Affinity or Trastar, the Leotek products are backed with a ten year warranty if there were to be a failure. If there are any questions email me at ________________.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Should I pull the plug? « Reply #10 on: October 24, 2021, 12:27:43 PM » Author: Rommie
I'm not going to argue for or against LED or any other form of street lighting here, but all I will say is personally I don't like white light for street lighting. Warmer colours are far easier on the eye to me and Sammi is unable to see clearly in white street lights because of her night blindness.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Should I pull the plug? « Reply #11 on: October 24, 2021, 12:48:45 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
I'm not going to argue for or against LED or any other form of street lighting here, but all I will say is personally I don't like white light for street lighting. Warmer colours are far easier on the eye to me and Sammi is unable to see clearly in white street lights because of her night blindness.
I agree, when I was in Bangor I couldn’t look directly at the lights because they were 5000K glarebombs! Hopefully these lights have minimized glare due to that optic covering the LEDs.

Joe Maurath, Jr.

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Should I pull the plug? « Reply #12 on: October 24, 2021, 12:52:41 PM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.
Here’s my letter so far, I’m still adjusting pieces as I think more about it. The blank spaces are things I took out for privacy, the letter actually says something where the blanks are.

Dear Town of Belmont,

Hello, my name is Cameron Ouellette, I’m a resident on ______ Street and a Freshman at Belmont High, I think it would be great to have LED street lights in our town. They are energy saving and produce a more white light and are more affordable than the High Pressure Sodium technology that our town has now. Accidents have been a big problem and more can be expected if this issue isn’t addressed. During this conversion, new fixtures can be added in neighborhoods and roadways that are a problem at night. Some lights should be added along the large roads such as 106, 140, and 107 where deer and other animals are regularly seen. I can be of assistance in helping identify which poles should get new lights installed and what wattage they could/should use. A few years ago, some LED lights were installed on route 106 and route 3, those 120 watt lights could also be replaced because LED technology has advanced more over the past few years that 80 watts is bright enough to replace 250 watt HPS, saving 40 additional watts from those original LEDs. The new LED lights will save the town thousands of dollars over the years, with some extra money to do other projects with. The light I would recommend for the town is the Leotek Comfortview for 50-150 watt lights and the GCM for 250 watt lights. The lights should use a black finish because it would compliment the history in the town and the black lights have a fancy and upscale look to them. The color temperature I would recommend with the Leotek lights is 2700K for smaller wattages and 3000K for larger wattages. The lights at parks and the town beach could also be replaced with the Leotek lights. Leotek has not had any reliability issues with their Greencobra lineup unlike more unreliable companies like Affinity or Trastar, the Leotek products are backed with a ten year warranty if there were to be a failure. If there are any questions email me at ________________.

Very professional writing, Cree!
Best of luck with this!

FYI, most cities and town (by law) are required to publicly post and put up for bid any purchases over x-number of dollars (such as $5,000). Upon doing so, they describe the specifications of what they want to purchase. My thinking is that the town of Belmont could use some of your wording for their material (fixture) purchase... or you could write them with a suggested description of what would work best for them as their specs within their bid offering. This would give them something to at least start with. Keep in mind that public entities cannot favor one manufacturer over another. Also, some towns go for the lowest bidder (if stated so); other times they can reject the low bidder and go with another offering that might fulfill their specifications better (if stated that the lowest bidder can be rejected). This is a closed bid process and bids are opened after their deadline for submission in public at a town meeting.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Should I pull the plug? « Reply #13 on: October 24, 2021, 02:57:15 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Thanks!

Maybe they'll include that they want black colored fixtures since I brought it up. Hopefully my words will influence them down the right path instead of using boring junk. Yeah I'm sure it will be discussed sometime at the spring if I were to send it around now.

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Should I pull the plug? « Reply #14 on: October 24, 2021, 04:20:26 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Cooper's new VERD-S Verdeon Small seems like a considerable option. It's available in 2700K, it has an optional refractor, and black is a color option.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies