Author Topic: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build?  (Read 3897 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #15 on: October 25, 2020, 08:36:29 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Interesting on the ballasts WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA.
I was tending to think an electronic fluorescent ballast (if a suitable one exists - I know you have to have a very close match for SOX or SLI/H) since it would fit inside the fixture.

The reason why I believe 175w MV and MH ballasts are such a close match for 200w SLI/H lamps is because the GEC 200w SLI/H lamps run at 135v 1.6a while the Thorn 200w SLI/H HO runs at 145v 1.55a which is close to the operating characteristics of 175w MH and MV lamps which run at 135v 1.5a.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #16 on: October 25, 2020, 09:15:01 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA:
That does seem pretty close.
Would very likely be fine for fluorescent which is more forgiving of "close but not quite".
But I don't know just how close you have to come for SLI/H. Maybe one of the experts here, like James for example would know?

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #17 on: October 25, 2020, 09:40:09 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I do know that Venture lighting has 200w MH bulbs that actually run at 135v 1.6a which is a perfect match for the GEC 200w SLI/H lamp.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #18 on: October 25, 2020, 11:49:08 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I am thinking I might consider making a preheat 8ft VHO striplight that uses a 175w MV ballast for each lamp using a 80-225w tanning bed starter for each lamp.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #19 on: October 18, 2021, 02:21:36 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I also recently came up with more ideas for building dream fixtures: Some of those include a 100 lamp preheat T5 chandelier, an ordinary E26 base chandelier fitted with 22w preheat circline adapters in every socket, a 6 lamp F58T8/F65T12 preheat fluorescent high bay fixture, a 6 lamp preheat F72T12 HO fluorescent halfpiper high bay fixture, and a 2 lamp preheat F36T12 HO fluorescent fixture with both tubes wired in series with each other.

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #20 on: October 18, 2021, 03:27:03 AM » Author: High Intensity
One (somewhat crazy) idea I had was to modify a NEMA head or yard blaster fixture to use 3 or 4 FC8T9 or FCL30 circline lamps, I have a couple ideas on how I would achieve this, i just don't have the time or resources to do it yet.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #21 on: October 26, 2021, 11:08:27 AM » Author: suzukir122
Yezzir! I definitely have dream fixtures that I'd like to build. Here is one... a plexiglass light table. Now... if I had my way, they'd be with 215w F96T12
VHO lamps... but I think that'd probably be a bit much. So... HO 110w lamps would be in that table, with a plexiglass to hold TV's, etc. I'm not sure if
the table would be 8 feet long or maybe even 16 feet. But light tables... it's always been a dream of mine to build them with T12 fluorescent lamps operating
inside of them. Especially with High Output or VHO lamps/ballasts.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Joe Maurath, Jr.

View Posts
View Gallery

Transgender, Avid About Street Lamps, Insulators.

Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #22 on: October 26, 2021, 01:23:35 PM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.
Yezzir! I definitely have dream fixtures that I'd like to build. Here is one... a plexiglass light table. Now... if I had my way, they'd be with 215w F96T12
VHO lamps... but I think that'd probably be a bit much. So... HO 110w lamps would be in that table, with a plexiglass to hold TV's, etc. I'm not sure if
the table would be 8 feet long or maybe even 16 feet. But light tables... it's always been a dream of mine to build them with T12 fluorescent lamps operating
inside of them. Especially with High Output or VHO lamps/ballasts.

Whenever I find the time (!) I would like to build a LPS NEMA (I do not own one but recall them fondly when they were around in the late 70s into the 80s). I was thinking of making a 18W one because I do not have the extended reflector that the 35 watt ones used.  :lps:

"A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it."

Please refer to www.insulators.info where I periodically post many images of lights and insulators in the group's Picture Poster Gallery. Thank you.

waterbug

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #23 on: October 27, 2021, 12:16:06 AM » Author: waterbug
Something like the cora 3p but with bigger lamps in them, 90W :lps: and then a 400W coated :a_mv: and preprogrammed to turn off one of the light at x hour, then it can sense if one lamp has failed then the other one will override the switch-off time.
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Does anyone have a dream fixture that they would like to build? « Reply #24 on: October 29, 2021, 08:49:24 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Now that would be cool!

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies