Author Topic: Not dodgy at all!  (Read 1226 times)
desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Not dodgy at all! « on: October 29, 2021, 08:55:01 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
Check out this “quality” outlet from Leviton! The best part? It can accept Type E (French) and Type F (Schuko) plugs, but the ground on both of those types will be bypassed.
Amazon link
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Not dodgy at all! « Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 09:21:48 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Where did i set my flamethrower... :wndr: :mrg:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Not dodgy at all! « Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 10:12:22 PM » Author: Lumex120
I'm surprised to see this abomination is from Leviton of all manufacturers.

Unofficial LG Discord

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Not dodgy at all! « Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 10:23:58 PM » Author: joseph_125
Same here but I searched the part number and it's on the Leviton website too.

What's next, a BS1363 outlet too?
desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: Not dodgy at all! « Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 10:35:52 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
At least the BS1363 outlet would be safe!
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Not dodgy at all! « Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 03:06:42 AM » Author: High Intensity
I actually got one of these awhile ago for my workbench, so I could plug in most 240v rated items (which has come to use for some odd items), but I will agree that the build quality of this thing is a bit dodgier than most other items Leviton has to offer, stuff like the plastic mold quality is clearly lower, as it has visible lumps and sags on the face of the outlet, the back also has the same issue, plus some other signs that the injection molds are not of great quality, and it also lacks any certification (like a UL certificate or anything similar), which I think may make it technically non-compliant under NEC, so I'm not exactly sure why of all manufacturers, Leviton is the one pushing these, when they seem more like something that would come from one of those random Chinese off-brands you see on eBay/Amazon/AliExpress.

Would I recommend these to anyone for any reason, not really, especially given the price.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 03:09:07 AM by High Intensity » Logged
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Not dodgy at all! « Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 01:21:28 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, I'm surprised to see it's from Leviton and not from some random offbrand. From the pictures the build quality looks to be around the same as those $1 residential grade outlets which dosen't seem to be worth the $7.50 one costs. At that price I'd expect something with beteer build quality...even spec grade outlets are around half that.

There's also the issue of the ground not being connected when using it with certain European plugs.

I usually use BS1363 or NEMA 6-15 plugs for 240v items, my transformer was fitted with a NEMA 6-15.
desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: Not dodgy at all! « Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 02:24:19 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
I got one today. Good news: It doesn’t fit the Schuko or Type E plugs. It only fits the Type C Europlug, which means that no grounding is bypassed. (Type C Europlugs don’t require a ground, since they are used with double insulated equipment).
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Not dodgy at all! « Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 01:50:36 AM » Author: Medved
But all "Europlugs" do require "skirt" around the socket plate, to hold off the fingers.
And the only differentiator here is the hole diameter. With the top plate being plastic, a bit of force (which many sockets require as a result of the contact pressure) with the type E and the plastic cover will crack, likely exposing the contacts. Doubt there is any reinforcing (a steel ring within the plastic,...) around the holes to prevent the holes from being wedged open by the rounded plug pins.
It may pass old soviet safety standards, but there it ends...

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies