Author Topic: EOL T8 "fire" at my college!  (Read 1340 times)
LAllenLighting

View Posts
View Gallery

Better Dead than LED!

lucas.allen.12979
EOL T8 "fire" at my college! « on: October 08, 2021, 11:58:08 AM » Author: LAllenLighting
Well, today as I was getting my lunch at college and was about to begin eating, the fire alarm went off. Turns out it wasn't a drill but instead a (presumably EOL or stuck starter) had led to some smoke coming out of a fluorescent fitting, thus tripping the (pretty sensitive) smoke detectors!  :poof: :eoled: I know that the fitting was in the visitor toilets and I know for a fact it's also a twin T8 1990s Thorn-made fitting. Maybe it was also a ballast fire? I saw the maintenance later had removed the diffuser and were doing something with the fitting, hopefully re-lamping it and not LEDing it! There are quite a few EOL tubes round college, particularly in the canteen and social room as the fittings are recessed 4x18w fittings.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: EOL T8 "fire" at my college! « Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 12:24:12 PM » Author: Rommie
Hopefully you might be able to salvage something..?  :wndr:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: EOL T8 "fire" at my college! « Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 03:20:43 PM » Author: AngryHorse
This all sounds like Tridonic!  ;D, I’ve had twin six foots in the stairwell at work that have set the fire alarms off!
And low and behold, the choke in it was Tridonic!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: EOL T8 "fire" at my college! « Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 09:28:40 AM » Author: Michael
Just few weeks ago there was a X2 filter capacitor smoking in a fluorescent fixture at a birthday party from my workmate. He removed the fixture and found the melted case of it. 
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: EOL T8 "fire" at my college! « Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 02:44:13 AM » Author: dor123
Zim building at Tel-Aviv, catch fire as a result of a ballast fire caused by a stuck starter: https://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%91%D7%99%D7%AA_%D7%A6%D7%99%D7%9D_(%D7%AA%D7%9C_%D7%90%D7%91%D7%99%D7%91)

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: EOL T8 "fire" at my college! « Reply #5 on: November 05, 2021, 03:14:08 PM » Author: marcopete87
Dor123, maybe there is something wrong with the link (LTR-RTL conversion?)

For everyone, you have to copy the text to get this wikipedia page work.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies