Author Topic: No "Reply with Quote" on the last comment of each gallery picture.  (Read 385 times)
LampLover

View Posts
View Gallery
120/240VAC @ 60HZ

GoL PeterYachymczyk UCYBAif_ag4v8nIcCU3VAmag
No "Reply with Quote" on the last comment of each gallery picture. « on: November 03, 2021, 06:51:30 PM » Author: LampLover
As the subject says No "Reply with Quote" on the last comment of each gallery picture.
I don't know if just my PC (I tried all of them so like 6 different ones of varying ages) or a gallery/forum bug.

LED Free Zone!
All For HID, magnetic rapid-start Preheat & old-school electronic Only (no instant start F17T8 & F32T8 allowed)

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: No "Reply with Quote" on the last comment of each gallery picture. « Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 07:29:18 PM » Author: Rommie
It was a deliberate decision. The quote facility was being abused by many people, who replied to the immediately preceding post, and then made often a single word reply or even just a  :D smiley or similar.

This surely isn't necessary on the very next post  ???  It could also be seen as rather annoying if the message being quoted was a long one.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end :love:

Administrator, UK and European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch
:love:

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: No "Reply with Quote" on the last comment of each gallery picture. « Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 07:37:40 PM » Author: Patrick
There's one scenario where it could still be useful to have Reply with Quote, and that is when the previous post is lengthy and you wish to hit Reply with Quote, then edit the quote down to the portion that's relevant.  If that comes up frequently, please let us know.  However, it's not necessary to quote the entire previous post, and remember you can still create a quote with the bbcode quote tag.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: No "Reply with Quote" on the last comment of each gallery picture. « Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 09:24:46 PM » Author: joseph_125
I think it's also since some newer users confuse the Reply with Quote and Reply buttons, not knowing you can reply without quoting. I've see at least a few times where the next comment used reply with quote but the comment had barely anything to do with the quoted text. I'd always just figured they were confused at the two buttons.

Hopefully removing reply with quote from the preceding will reduce this. As Patrick mentioned, you can type in the BBcode manually should you wish to quote text...it's also useful for quoting a relevant part of a webpage you linked.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 09:34:49 PM by joseph_125 » Logged
Danny
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No "Reply with Quote" on the last comment of each gallery picture. « Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 06:52:13 AM » Author: Danny
The Sites comments are much cleaner without the reply with quote button. About a year ago it was getting abused and the comments section were a mess with every comment being quoted and the quote font being the same as the comment font. Luckily the quote font was changed and it helped.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Bodger extraordinaire - When in doubt, bodge.!

Re: No "Reply with Quote" on the last comment of each gallery picture. « Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 07:04:57 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I think that latterly it became worse than it was before the quote text was different, because when it was difficult to differentiate between the quote and your reply, (we used to use italics to help people do that) then some posters didn't use that function.  :wndr:

But in the past few months people were just clicking on reply with quote, even if it was just them replying to each other.!  :poof:

Which is, in my opinion, totally unnecessary.  >:(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love:
Budding Author
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber (1894 - 1961)

Print 
© 2005-2021 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines