Author Topic: Revised Member Rankings  (Read 8956 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Revised Member Rankings « Reply #15 on: November 08, 2021, 03:50:32 PM » Author: Rommie
All detailed in the original post  :bulbman:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Revised Member Rankings « Reply #16 on: November 08, 2021, 03:57:24 PM » Author: Econolite03
When I rotate my iPhone to landscape (sideways) I see the icons just fine.
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Revised Member Rankings « Reply #17 on: November 08, 2021, 05:17:23 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
I have mixed feelings about this, it's good as it's more simple and there won't be as much fighting over it. The reason I'm not to big on it however is that there's only two ranks compared to the four ranks before.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Revised Member Rankings « Reply #18 on: November 08, 2021, 05:48:51 PM » Author: Rommie
That was deliberate; some people were complaining about those who were so called "hero" members posting rubbish just to increase their "rank."

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Revised Member Rankings « Reply #19 on: November 08, 2021, 11:52:32 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
We've played THAT game before !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Andy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Revised Member Rankings « Reply #20 on: November 09, 2021, 06:25:29 AM » Author: Andy
I am pleased to see a revised ranking system has been implemented.
The number of bulbs assigned to a member doesn't necessarily reflect the quality of their posts, just the quantity but it is a good improvement nonetheless!

« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 06:53:51 AM by Andy » Logged

I'm always interested in exchanging lamps with others. Send me a message if you would be interested in a trade. :)

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Revised Member Rankings « Reply #21 on: November 09, 2021, 03:05:15 PM » Author: Rommie
@ Andy - Unfortunately, there isn't yet a way for software to recognise quality, so we're stuck with what we have, I'm afraid  :mrg:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Revised Member Rankings « Reply #22 on: November 09, 2021, 03:33:24 PM » Author: joseph_125
The number of bulbs assigned to a member doesn't necessarily reflect the quality of their posts, just the quantity but it is a good improvement nonetheless!

Back in the early days of LG around a decade ago, there was a user upvote/downvote system called user karma. It worked similarly to how it worked on sites like Reddit. Anyway it was more trouble than it was worth so it was eventually removed but users with consistently good posts tended to have higher scores.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Revised Member Rankings « Reply #23 on: November 09, 2021, 03:37:14 PM » Author: Rommie
Karma caused more problems than it solved, so I have heard. It was before my time, so I never experienced it, and I don't think I want to. I don't believe it is the function of the membership in general to approve or disapprove of other members' posts. By all means report something if you feel it breaks site rules, but otherwise I think it's best to leave well alone. We're here to enjoy lighting, not have flame wars.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Revised Member Rankings « Reply #24 on: November 09, 2021, 03:40:42 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah I was around for the tail end of it and I believe it was more trouble than it was worth. That being said, I think most people on here back then used it to only upvote people's posts instead of using the downvote feature.

As for how it worked, it works about just as well as up/down votes on social media sites like Reddit and YouTube.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Revised Member Rankings « Reply #25 on: November 09, 2021, 04:28:54 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Correct me if I'm wrong but the misuse of the system came from voting up posts of friends, and voting down those of people you didn't like, regardless of the quality, or lack thereof.  :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Revised Member Rankings « Reply #26 on: November 09, 2021, 04:37:46 PM » Author: joseph_125
It might be possible but LG back then was a friendlier place, IMO. Less negativity, less nitpicky comments correct minor mistakes, and less comments that derail threads IMO and more people helping each other and appreciating good lighting, 
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Revised Member Rankings « Reply #27 on: November 10, 2021, 07:53:46 AM » Author: rjluna2
I think it has to do with more members in this site which it is harder to maintain here ???

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Revised Member Rankings « Reply #28 on: November 10, 2021, 08:13:58 PM » Author: Foxtronix
L-G sure has changed a lot since 2007. But I see this change in a neutral way, with both positive and negative sides.

We kinda knew everybody back then, so the ambiance was very different. And social media was just beginning to exist, the entire world was very different!

Alex

View Posts
View Gallery

feel free to ask questions

Re: Revised Member Rankings « Reply #29 on: November 11, 2021, 04:08:53 AM » Author: Alex
Hello,

I am glad that the Ranking systems were adapted. I think to only have three steps, newby, member and administrator reduces tensions. I think that now, if your are regualiry contributing content, is it 5times a day, once a week or once a week, you are now seen as a member and not a member of thirst, second or third class.

That Karma thing, It has the same problem as the star ranking. The intention, to give people anonymous feedback about their activities, is abused. The problem is the anonymousity there, wich enables members to downgrade those who he do not like an bash those who they like. If that is done on organized bases, then you can call it mobbing. I think it is clearly understandable now, that those features are creating tensions, a clima of mistrust and suspicion , and so being bad to the forum.

Best regurds

Alex

Glück auf ⚒️

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies