Author Topic: Can too much cold cathode burn out a ballast?  (Read 341 times)
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can too much cold cathode burn out a ballast? « Reply #15 on: November 22, 2021, 01:03:10 PM » Author: Medved
Just passing through hope you guys don't mind.

I was thinking about running a 100W HPS on a 70W HPS/Metal Halide gear, how quick do you guys think it will fry the ballast? Or anyone here have been running such setup and the lamp and ballast were running absolutely fine?

Try it, measure the lamp arc voltage. If it is still somewhat close to normal (in the 70..90V ballpark), I would not worry that much.
Important is the ballast temperature...

No more selfballasted c***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Can too much cold cathode burn out a ballast? « Reply #16 on: November 25, 2021, 03:14:03 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Just passing through hope you guys don't mind.

I was thinking about running a 100W HPS on a 70W HPS/Metal Halide gear, how quick do you guys think it will fry the ballast? Or anyone here have been running such setup and the lamp and ballast were running absolutely fine?

From what I understand, since your ballasts are series chokes designed for 220v-240v mains, the ballast would not suffer any real problems, whenever you are underrunning high pressure sodium lamps, they often last longer than their rated life since there is less current flowing through the arc tube. Ideally, if you want to underrun a high pressure sodium lamp for long term use, it is best to run it at full power on its correct ballast initially, and then use a relay to run it on the lower wattage ballast. In Switzerland, there have been documented cases of high pressure sodium and mercury vapor lamps lasting for many decades on lower power ballasts inside street lanterns that used dimming relays to switch between normal ballasts and low power ballasts so that the lamps can be dimmed to save energy when fewer pedestrians walk under these lanterns. Member monkeyface can tell you more information about underrunning HID lamps.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2021 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines