Author Topic: Hello from Cleveland, Ohio  (Read 224 times)
jon

View Posts
View Gallery

Hello from Cleveland, Ohio « on: November 23, 2021, 01:50:49 PM » Author: jon
I've always loved this site and decided I would finally make an account here. I'm currently attending school at Cleveland State University majoring in EET (electronics engineering technology)…I was in electrical engineering but decided that the theoretical stuff just wasn't for me. My current major is much more hands-on which is what I enjoy. I eventually wish to start collecting lighting and lighting-related gear, but right now I'm focusing on keeping my grades up and working to make money so I can get by (and have lights). Probably the coolest "toy" I have at the moment is a 200-kV Tesla coil that I purchased on Amazon (it wasn't in one of those kits that you build your own, it came factory-assembled, although a buddy of mine built his own with an electronic fluorescent ballast and flyback transformer out of an old CRT TV). Shocked myself numerous times with it before, it's not enough current to really do anything harmful tho.

My biggest pet-peeve, if you would, is walking into any store, whether it be a corporate retail chain like Walmart or a small private shop, only to realize the entire place is lit by LEDs. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate all LEDs, in fact I've replaced most of my incandescent bulbs at home with LEDs just to save on the electric bill (since I have a tendency to leave lights on when I'm not around, especially now that DST is over and it's already dark before eating dinner). I just hate the fact that LEDs have come to dominate the lighting market and seem to be the choice of lighting almost everywhere. I miss the days of walking into a store illuminated by rows of fluorescent lights or HID fixtures. You can't even go into Home Depot and find anything that isn't LED in the lighting section, and if there is it's a limited selection. Even worse is LED street lighting. The new LEDs that are replacing the HPS lights are dreadfully dim and barely illuminate the road at night, until you drive directly under it and it's glaringly bright! Just ban those f---ing things already!

I'm looking forward to sharing my interests with others on the forum and am finally glad to be a part of this family! The admins on here seem super chill and knowledgeable. I'm getting good vibes from this place!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 01:56:24 PM by jon » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Hello from Cleveland, Ohio « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 03:02:32 PM » Author: Rommie
Hi Jon, like I said on your other post, welcome to the madhouse  :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end :love:

Administrator, UK and European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch
:love:

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hello from Cleveland, Ohio « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 03:06:18 PM » Author: High Intensity
Welcome to Lighting Gallery.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Hello from Cleveland, Ohio « Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 03:25:49 PM » Author: joseph_125
Welcome to LG.
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Hello from Cleveland, Ohio « Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 03:31:47 PM » Author: rjluna2
Welcome aboard, Jon :)

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hello from Cleveland, Ohio « Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 11:06:13 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Welcome to LG Jon !!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Hello from Cleveland, Ohio « Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 12:09:55 PM » Author: suzukir122
What up Jon? Welcome to LG, and it's also good to see another person in Ohio on here, even if it's all the way up in Cleveland!

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Print 
© 2005-2021 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines