Author Topic: Most creative ways to ballast a HID or fluorescent lamp?  (Read 412 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Most creative ways to ballast a HID or fluorescent lamp? « on: December 25, 2021, 12:36:18 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Does anybody know of some interesting ways to ballast fluorescent tubes and HID lamps aside from inductive chokes, electronic ballasts, incandescent bulbs, HX autotransformer ballasts, CWA ballasts, and mag reg autotransformer ballasts?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

halofosfaatti

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Most creative ways to ballast a HID or fluorescent lamp? « Reply #1 on: December 25, 2021, 01:28:42 PM » Author: halofosfaatti
If I remember correctly, Photonicinduction "ballasted" huge several kW xenon projector lamp with arc welder. They have current limiting electronics or tranformers in older machines.

Edit: When I lit my first fluorescent lamp without proper ballast, I used homemade power inverter, Which used MOSFETs and halogen transformer wired backwards. The oscillator was PC cooling fan speed indication signal, which was used to drive the MOSFETs. The squarewave output produced high voltage spikes on the output because current changes were rapid in the transformer coils, and 58 W 5 foot tube lit instantly when power was turned on. The transformer was so powerless and did not overdrive the lamp.

And then I learned how to make DIY ballasts from transformers :).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 01:36:14 PM by halofosfaatti » Logged

Too many things are secret. Only open information can really preserve old technology.

I like fluorescent and other conventional lighting and old electronic equipment. Today's things are not made to last.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies