Author Topic: Lost streetlighting catalogs  (Read 1141 times)
LightDragon

View Posts
View Gallery

Street luminaire collector of any kind.

Lost streetlighting catalogs « on: December 02, 2021, 09:57:16 AM » Author: LightDragon
There are many streetlights in the us that many of us seen but have little or no info about them. I believe this matter is extremely important to the history of these lights especially with the recent LED takeovers that are occurring across the country. Brands from the early 60s like Pemco, American Electric Lighting, and Spaulding are very unique obscure brands that deserve our attention. There are archives of adverts that show these luminaires but dont give us clear specs or have vague info. We need to find clear catalogs of this stuff as it helps us identify the lights properly. I've called these three companies and they don't have catalogs that date back this far as partnerships have changed over time. Im reaching out to everyone here on LG to see of anyone knows where or how to get this info. Lights such as pemcos brightways, AEL triple zero whiteways, and Spauldings Metropolitan luminaires are victim to this issue. If anyone can bring this info to the table I'd like to see this info and have it archived so that we can help to make sure the streetlighting history more clear and saved so no media is lost. Ill post some pictures of these lights so people can these for reference. This hobby is super special and I would hate if this info is lost. Let me know in this topic if anything can be found.

I am a Cooper OVD fan! Also mercury vapor is the best light there is...

LightDragon

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lost streetlighting catalogs « Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 09:58:28 AM » Author: LightDragon
The American Electric advert. Other fixtures like the 17-000 are not properly identified. Some are mislabeled it as the 27000 or the 327000. If anyone can find the catalog that would be really helpful.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 10:20:58 AM by LightDragon » Logged

LightDragon

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lost streetlighting catalogs « Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 09:59:27 AM » Author: LightDragon
Pemco. There are multiple brightway luminaire s that are not identified and need visible catalog info. This is the only one shown.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 10:04:18 AM by LightDragon » Logged

LightDragon

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lost streetlighting catalogs « Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 10:01:12 AM » Author: LightDragon
The spaulding metro catalog unfortunately does not show every page. The rest of the catalog needs to be found.

LightDragon

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lost streetlighting catalogs « Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 10:09:07 AM » Author: LightDragon
Joclyns MV luminaires also dont have a clear catalog. Fixtures such as the mv 121,mv 131, and the, mv111 need to be found. Also there may be a 1000w fixture that we may not know about.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Lost streetlighting catalogs « Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 03:15:26 PM » Author: joseph_125
Powerlite dosen't seem to have clear catalog online too. All the information I have on Powerlite is from a combination of field observations, anecdotes from other collectors, items in my collection, and scouring old patent databases. There's the spec sheets on some specific lights like the B2255/B2228 family and the twistpak because they were marketed by Sylvania too but not a full line catalogue.

LightDragon

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lost streetlighting catalogs « Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 03:23:43 PM » Author: LightDragon
If anyone knows where they can.find a spec sheet for that then feel free to post it here. Lost streetlight media is very vital to this hobby. Does anyone know atleast if there is an advertisement showing it?

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lost streetlighting catalogs « Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 07:51:00 AM » Author: James
I do not collect streetlights or literature relating to them - only lamps.  But sometimes there is overlap and streetlights are included in the catalogues of some companies that made both lamps and lanterns.  So you can see for instance many older Thorn and Philips streetlighting lanterns on my pages at http://www.lamptech.co.uk/Catalogues.htm
LightDragon

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lost streetlighting catalogs « Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 08:06:28 AM » Author: LightDragon
Unfortunately that doesn't help. I looked at your page and none of the catalogs there relate to the ones posted here on this topic. There needs to be a real catalogs showing these lights. Not being interested in streetlighting doesn't help this cause unfortunately as these catalogs are directly tied to them.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Lost streetlighting catalogs « Reply #9 on: December 05, 2021, 07:51:56 PM » Author: joseph_125
I wonder if Joe Maurath might have trade information on these lights. Perhaps someone nearby can offer to meet up and help with scanning all that content and sharing it electronically with other collectors.

Another good source would be reference libraries in larger cities, university and collage libraries too. I'd imagine that some of this stuff is still out there but it still needs to be digitized. I visited the reference library here to take a look at some older fluorescent fixture catalogues that were otherwise unavailable but I don't recall them having any old streetlighting specific literature.   
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies