Author Topic: Original uranium green tube?  (Read 1623 times)
Hallibag

View Posts
View Gallery

Original uranium green tube? « on: December 07, 2021, 07:49:49 PM » Author: Hallibag
Thank you for adding me to the group. I have an older neon “Taxi” sign that I’m hoping someone will help me to date. Because of its styling, the Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario approval sticker and “60 CYL” marking on the back, and what appears to me to be a uranium-coated Canary Yellow tube that glows yellow under U.V. light, I believe it could be quite early, 1930’s or possibly even late 1920’s. Or, I could be completely wrong about this! If it is as old as I suspect it may be, though, it’s quite a survivor as, apart from a modern power cord replacing the original cloth-covered one, it seems to be in original condition, and it still works.

A few photos:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Original uranium green tube? « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 08:06:34 AM » Author: Rommie
Hi, welcome to the madhouse that is LG  ;D

That's certainly an interesting sign, I recommend you also upload one or two photos to the gallery, there are many users on the site who only use the gallery and not the forum, also vice versa, so you might get a reply there if you don't here.

For more info on the site and how to use it, see here  :love:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Hallibag

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Original uranium green tube? « Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 01:44:40 PM » Author: Hallibag
Okay, I will do that. Thank you!
Miles

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Original uranium green tube? « Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 11:53:15 AM » Author: Miles
If your tube glows green under black light, it likely is the coveted uranium green color. It's even more rare to see one coated. This must've been done in-shop, as most manufacturers at the time did not offer this.
Looks like this tube broke at some point and the loss of vacuum blew some of the coating off making it look uneven when glowing. But it got repaired and re-pumped, I can see new electrodes. And funnily, they used the old electrode's larger glass envelope as an insulator.

In short, yes. You have a very special sign there!
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies