Author Topic: What type of range/stove to get?  (Read 3919 times)
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
What type of range/stove to get? « on: December 29, 2021, 01:45:05 PM » Author: HPS_250
So right now my parents are planning a kitchen renovation, and I’m trying to help research for new appliances. We already have a refrigerator and microwave picked out, but the stove isn’t yet.
It needs to be a standard 30 inch range, preferably stainless steel. We moved the old stove away from the wall and found out that we can basically get any type that we want - there are both 240v and 120v outlets installed (50 and 20 amps each) as well as a natural gas line.
I don’t need any specific stoves yet (unless someone has a recommendation) but do you think we should get gas or electric? Dual fuel isn’t an option because it’s too expensive.
We’re leaning toward electric right now, since my parents prefer electric ovens and like the idea of easy clean up on a glass cooktop.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 02:04:30 PM » Author: HPS_250
Me too, I definitely prefer electric myself. I’ll have to talk to my family a bit more to see if they prefer gas for any reason.

Unvented gas also aggravates my allergies indoors so that’s annoying.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 02:07:29 PM » Author: Rommie
Personally, I prefer cooking with gas, but we don't have a gas supply in the kitchen here, so we went for induction. Very controllable, the only downside is you may need new pans if the ones you have don't have enough ferrous metal in them.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 02:16:47 PM » Author: HPS_250
I didn’t think of induction, that might be a great option! Most of the cookware we have is already made of ferrous metal (plus we also have plenty of cast iron) so all that would have to be replaced are a couple of stainless steel pots.

This is what will be replaced, it’s a great stove but unfortunately so many parts (including the main oven control board) have failed that we can’t repair it anymore.
It’s a Kenmore from 2001.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 02:23:50 PM by HPS_250 » Logged

desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 03:01:38 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
I would go for gas every time. I’m so stubborn, that if I had a house w/o gas supply, I would install a propane tank just to have all gas heating appliances! (Stove, oven, water heater, furnace, dryer).
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 03:04:09 PM » Author: HPS_250
I would go for gas every time. I’m so stubborn, that if I had a house w/o gas supply, I would install a propane tank just to have all gas heating appliances! (Stove, oven, water heater, furnace, dryer).

Gas is definitely better and much cheaper for lots of appliances, I agree! Gas water heating and gas dryers are great to have when your house has a gas supply!
A gas stove is an option too unless we decide that an electric stove would be better for our cooking needs and new kitchen.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 03:08:04 PM by HPS_250 » Logged

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 03:17:25 PM » Author: Rommie
Well we're in rented accommodation here, so no real way of doing that. We do have gas for the heating but there's no pipe into the kitchen and it would be a major upheaval to get it fitted  :-\

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 03:53:07 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
I understand. Dealing with rental stuff and running new wires/pipes in existing construction is a major pain.
If I ever had to go to electric, I would have to run a new 50A circuit to the kitchen and 3 new high power circuits (2x 60A and 1x 30A) to the attic for the furnaces and water heater. That would require major sections of the wall to be taken out, a massive pain in the rear. Plus, I have a whole house generator- a benefit of having natural gas or a propane tank for the house.
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 06:03:04 PM » Author: Burrito
White Westinghouse vintage NOS

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 06:19:01 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Personally I'd go with electric since that's all I've ever used. Plus I think the smooth-top stoves are much better looking

Note that some places are starting to ban new installations of natural gas appliances. .. .Just a matter of time til that spreads, and eventually grows to include replacement of existing gas appliances.
(actually some cities are also starting to ban natural-gas and heating-oil powered heat in new construction, and replacement systems).
Just something to be aware of! This stuff is coming! They want to start cutting down gas usage... :roll:

Quote from: desktoptrashcan
If I ever had to go to electric, I would have to run a new 50A circuit to the kitchen and 3 new high power circuits (2x 60A and 1x 30A) to the attic for the furnaces and water heater.
For me, doing the furnace/water heater wouldn't really be an option .eek. without upgrading power coming into the house.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #10 on: December 29, 2021, 06:21:07 PM » Author: Rommie
We've had our induction cooker for just over 3 years now, it's been excellent.

desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #11 on: December 29, 2021, 09:01:41 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
Personally I'd go with electric since that's all I've ever used. Plus I think the smooth-top stoves are much better looking

Note that some places are starting to ban new installations of natural gas appliances. .. .Just a matter of time til that spreads, and eventually grows to include replacement of existing gas appliances.
(actually some cities are also starting to ban natural-gas and heating-oil powered heat in new construction, and replacement systems).
Just something to be aware of! This stuff is coming! They want to start cutting down gas usage... :roll:
 For me, doing the furnace/water heater wouldn't really be an option .eek. without upgrading power coming into the house.
I would have to go from 125 or 175A service (forgot which one I have) to 200A service. Thankfully, my meter and transfer switch are already set up for 200A service, so only the main wires and the main breaker in the breaker panel would need to be changed.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #12 on: December 30, 2021, 02:30:37 PM » Author: Medved
Stainless steel works on induction well. What does not work are aluminum pots/pans unless they have the embedded steel in the bottom plate (it is added in many cookware deliberately to make them working on induction).

To me electric is the safest, but the power is rather limited (max 2kW on a single plate, gas could easily deliver 5kW burner; but when you never do larger cooking, you would not see that)
Induction is the most comfortable, the low heat losses somehow compensate for the limited power (2kW/plate), it has fast response, often features temperature control, but they tend to be rather noisy (generaly need forced air cooling of the coil and the powerelectronic inside) and tend to fail rather often (the cooling get clogged by the typical "kitchen goo", then overheats).

IR heater lamp is a kind of compromise (not that much inertia, but still simple without the need of noisy forced cooling), but the pot size has to match the plate circle, otherwise it will fry your cookware handle...

The gas is superior in the brute force power available at any time, but need ventilation and when not operated properly (room ventilation,...), it could be dangerous (eating up the oxygen from the room, generates NOx, may even generate CO,...).

No more selfballasted c***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #13 on: December 30, 2021, 02:40:43 PM » Author: Rommie
The stainless steel pans we had did not have a high enough ferrous content for them to work reliably, so we did have to invest in some new ones. But they'll see us out comfortably, the old ones were 20+ years old and were still ok apart from that.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What type of range/stove to get? « Reply #14 on: December 30, 2021, 02:45:54 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
@ Medved: Our one doesn't have the forced air cooling that you describe.  :wndr:

But what is essential to know is that if you have a pace maker fitted, then it will probably be affected severely by the induction coils.  :poof: :DeAtH:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 02:49:16 PM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies