Author Topic: G'day  (Read 2129 times)
Sodiyum

View Posts
View Gallery

Get your daily dose of Sodium

G'day « on: January 09, 2022, 12:16:55 AM » Author: Sodiyum
Hello, am a new member. My love for SOX/LPS brought me here, we still have lamps in the wild where I live. I intend to see if I can get my hands on lamps heading to the recycle plant here, so if any of you are from South Australia and know someone who can provide LPS related stuff feel free to contact me. Otherwise I'm gonna chill around online and have fun browsing. Cheers.  :lps:

Wanna see snow lit by SOX.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: G'day « Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 06:58:15 AM » Author: Rommie
Hi and welcome from a cold damp Scotland  ;D

Hope to hear more from you and see what you're up to over there. My aunt and uncle and their family emigrated to Adelaide in the 60's, my granny went over as well a bit later. My uncle was a cop and ended up quite high up in the ranks in Darwin. Lost touch with them all now, though  :(

No SOX at all where we are, sadly, it's all the over-excited semiconductor stuff  :eoled:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end :love:

Administrator, UK and European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch
:love:

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: G'day « Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 12:43:53 PM » Author: rjluna2
Welcome aboard, Sodiyum :)

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: G'day « Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 06:45:35 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Welcome to LG !!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: G'day « Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 06:58:40 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Welcome from me as well, I'm Ria's other half.  :love:

It's really nice having another SOX fan in here.  :lps: :love:  :a_sox: :love:  :sli: :love: :goldfinger: :love: :soxltrn: :love:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber (1894 - 1961)

Sodiyum

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: G'day « Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 08:42:07 PM » Author: Sodiyum
Thanks for the welcoming people, cool to see SOX fans all gathered here. :) Also cool to hear Rommie has fam down under even if distant, Adelaide is known for being multicultural because of people moving here from other countries. I'll be sure to get some good pictures of the lamps we have around here before they get replaced, my camera is currently pretty poor quality so will aim to get a better one. In areas that haven't been replaced by LED, roughly 1 in 100 lamps are LPS with clusters of a few also existing, they only exist as street lights and are not found in parks and such that I know of. HPS on the other hand is still extremely common here and I don't think they are going to be replaced anytime soon, good for the nocturnal life that live here.  :lps:  :hps:

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: G'day « Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 12:09:49 AM » Author: Bulbman256
Welcome to the madhouse, i'm one of the madmen, Mad Max. :lol: :mrg:

In all seriousness it's good to have another member here, sodium is the good stuff. :lps: :hps: :bulbman:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: G'day « Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 04:58:02 AM » Author: Rommie
As long as you don't throw huge lumps of it into a swimming pool, like someone not a million miles from me did once  :poof: :mrg:

It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end :love:

Administrator, UK and European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: G'day « Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 06:17:46 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
It was quite spectacular... :mrg:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber (1894 - 1961)

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: G'day « Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 02:49:23 PM » Author: High Intensity
Welcome to Lighting Gallery, there are still a good number of wild SOX lights in and around San Jose, CA. I also have a few fixtures and bulbs living in my collection.
Al_M

View Posts
View Gallery

GEC Z9464 90w SOX/LPS

Re: G'day « Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 04:43:58 PM » Author: Al_M
There is quite an active community of streetlighting collectors in Australia and anything SOX-related is highly coveted within it, as you'd expect.

Bad news on the Adelaide front though. We had one sympathetic linesman there who has been able to save a large amount of SOX lanterns for us, but he wasn't able to get us lamps or gear though. We sourced lamps and gear from other places though; usually eBay.

But he no longer has access to the retired lanterns now and word on the street there is that there isn't currently anyone in Adelaide/SA Power Networks sympathetic to our cause (some are quite rude if approached).

Hardly any Australian collectors use LG anymore; if you want to connect with them (and maybe source SOX stuff that way) they are on the FB group Australian Street Light Collectors. 
Sodiyum

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: G'day « Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 12:00:09 AM » Author: Sodiyum
That's good to hear there is a nice community of aussie street light collectors. I don't have a FB but I'll consider one to join the group in the future.  :)

Not so good to hear about what's happening in Adelaide, I'll still see if I can find a connect, I do have a few people in mind I can call. Although this wouldn't be a good time with covid and all, in the near future I'll be able to take a shot at hunting for the goods.  :lps: :lps: :lps:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: G'day « Reply #12 on: January 11, 2022, 07:31:28 AM » Author: Rommie
Well personally, I steer well clear of FB, it's too intrusive. But I hope you manage to make contact with people in your area.

Sadly there is no-one else within 100 miles of here, the nearest member of LG in Scotland is John (thorncollector) in Inverness. His sister lives in Aberdeen, so he has visited a couple of times, and we've had some good trades with him  :bulbman:

Al_M

View Posts
View Gallery

GEC Z9464 90w SOX/LPS

Re: G'day « Reply #13 on: January 11, 2022, 05:44:56 PM » Author: Al_M
Hello, am a new member. My love for SOX/LPS brought me here, we still have lamps in the wild where I live. I intend to see if I can get my hands on lamps heading to the recycle plant here, so if any of you are from South Australia and know someone who can provide LPS related stuff feel free to contact me. Otherwise I'm gonna chill around online and have fun browsing. Cheers.  :lps:

If you're interested, here are some photos I took during my visit to Adelaide a few years ago.

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3794
Sodiyum

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: G'day « Reply #14 on: January 12, 2022, 07:57:35 AM » Author: Sodiyum
I'm not too surprised the people here are spread out, I was bit shocked to see there are only a few hundred members on this forum, nice little community you got going on.  :bulbman:

I do agree about FB, I did quit a while ago but would make an account if I can enter in fake info and only access it via browser.  8)

As for your gallery Al, I recognise the SOX lit street in one of your photos, been down there recently and sad to say it's LED territory now. Though I hope you enjoyed your trip here.

Print 
© 2005-2022 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies