Author Topic: Finding a fixture/ballast to drive a F72T12 lamp  (Read 1125 times)
Cellist

View Posts
View Gallery

Finding a fixture/ballast to drive a F72T12 lamp « on: January 21, 2022, 10:36:57 PM » Author: Cellist
Hi,
I am new to this forum and also a very late member to the world to T12 since I grew up in Taiwan where the main fluorescent lamps are T8, T9 and T10s on preheat ballast. I only once seen a 8 ft T-12 in my childhood and was fascinated by then.

I have moved to US and recently scored a couple of F72T12 GE lamps at Lowe’s for 10 cents each. I think those can be a great addition to my basement. However, I couldn’t find a fixture or ballasts to drive it. Any suggestions is welcomed!
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Finding a fixture/ballast to drive a F72T12 lamp « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 11:45:18 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I recommend that this thread gets moved to the “Wanted” section of our forum, but here is a good ballast that can properly run a pair of F72T12 slimline fluorescent tubes:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373632098355

If you want a fixture that can fit these fluorescent tubes, you would possibly need to make your own or cut down an F96T12 slimline striplight that you can find at Home Depot down from 8 feet (2.4m) to 6 feet (1.8m).

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

musictomyeyes

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Finding a fixture/ballast to drive a F72T12 lamp « Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 01:59:56 PM » Author: musictomyeyes
Do you want to operate these lamps in a residential zone (home/consumer use), or in a business/industrial zone?  Generally, consumers prefer quietness in their residences.  I know of one line of magnetic "slimline"-lamp ballasts slightly quieter than the rest: Sylvania specifies their's "Sound Rating: Class B", compared to typical Class C.  For home (120V mains) use, you might consider MB1x96/120IS or MB2x96/120IS.

As for high frequency electronic drivers, whether it is in a residential building, is considered for a different reason than sonic noise: electromagnetic or radio noise.  I know of one electronic ballast for slimline lamps, suitable for consumer/residential settings: Universal Lighting Technologies B260I120M-A.

2022-01-26 addition:
I forgot!  Actually, I know of two consumer/residential electronic drivers for T12 slimline lamps.  Besides Universal B260I120M-A, another is: Keystone Technologies, LLC KTEB-275-1-TP-PIC-SL.

2022-01-29 addition:
I've found another consumer/residential electronic driver for T12 slimline lamps: Robertson Worldwide ISL296T12MV "Meets FCC Part 18 (Class B) EMI and RFI Consumer Limits".
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 02:48:53 PM by musictomyeyes » Logged
Cellist

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Finding a fixture/ballast to drive a F72T12 lamp « Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 06:29:55 PM » Author: Cellist
I didn't know there is sound ratings with ballast. Thanks for the info!
I ended up light the bulbs on a F96T12 IS electronic ballast that comes with the 8-ft fixture I acquired from Lowe's and the bulbs lighted up great!
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Finding a fixture/ballast to drive a F72T12 lamp « Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 09:32:40 PM » Author: Patrick
That's probably an acceptable ballast to use.  Many of the electronic ballasts for F96T12 also list F72T12.  It should say on the label, and there may be a more detailed spec sheet online if you wish to confirm.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

musictomyeyes

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Finding a fixture/ballast to drive a F72T12 lamp « Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 01:20:51 PM » Author: musictomyeyes
I know of one electronic ballast for slimline lamps, suitable for consumer/residential settings: Universal Lighting Technologies B260I120M-A.
I ended up light the bulbs on a F96T12 IS electronic ballast that comes with the 8-ft fixture I acquired from Lowe's and the bulbs lighted up great!

This reminds me!  I am aware of actually two "Meets FCC Part 18 Consumer Limits" high frequency electronic ballasts for slimline T12 lamps.  It slipped my mind, the other day.  Besides Universal's B260I120M-A, another is Keystone's KTEB-275-1-TP-PIC-SL.
bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

Resolutely crack down on inferior LED lighting!!

GoL
Re: Finding a fixture/ballast to drive a F72T12 lamp « Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 08:06:53 PM » Author: bulb_tester2009
I think my opple's 83W ballast will do
https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=6993&pos=15&pid=205987

I've been collecting light bulbs since I was 2 years old and I've been collecting them ever since.
 :hps::hps::hps:
由于我来自中国,所以英语不精通,大部分内容都是翻译的,所以可能不通顺,请大家谅解
Note:
Bulb base in China:E12(CES) E14(SES) B22d(BC) E27(ES) E40(GES)

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Finding a fixture/ballast to drive a F72T12 lamp « Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 08:12:42 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Be careful with that since discharge lamps are not necessarily interchangeable with each other based on wattage because in some cases, a same wattage discharge lamp will have different electrical characteristics than others. In addition, your opple ballast will need a step up transformer if it was to be operated on a 120v line voltage since it is rated for 220v operation. In addition, it is pretty dangerous to run lamps on incorrect ballasts if you do not know what you are doing since you can possibly burn out your lamp quickly or you can destroy your ballast. In some cases, mismatching lamps on incorrect ballasts can sometimes cause property damage and death if you are not careful as well.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 08:17:59 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

musictomyeyes

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Finding a fixture/ballast to drive a F72T12 lamp « Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022, 02:53:19 PM » Author: musictomyeyes
I learned of a third choice of high frequency electronic instant start T12 power unit for consumer/residential locations: Robertson ISL296T12MV.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies