Author Topic: Does anyone treat fluorescent lamps and HID lamps the same way?  (Read 866 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Does anyone treat fluorescent lamps and HID lamps the same way? « on: February 07, 2022, 03:42:53 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Personally, after knowing that both fluorescent and HID lamps need ballasts to operate at certain currents, I generally treat HID lamps the same as fluorescent lamps. Whenever I find appropriate ballasts for them, I make sure they start reliably, run within 10% of their rated current, and run them on ballasts that can tolerate their arc voltage drops appropriately. Does anyone else treat fluorescent lamps and HID lamps in the same manner too?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does anyone treat fluorescent lamps and HID lamps the same way? « Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 03:01:57 AM » Author: Medved
Well fluorescents are way more tolerant towards the current variation, because as cold running (not more than 100degC above ambient), the temperature is less sensitive on the real power dissipated. So may tolerate way lower input power before losing performance coefficients (efficacy, color properties,...).

No more selfballasted c***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Does anyone treat fluorescent lamps and HID lamps the same way? « Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 04:15:26 AM » Author: Rommie
I just run lamps on their correct ballasts. If I don't have a ballast for a lamp, then I get one.The only exception at the moment being the ballast for a 200W SLI/H lamp, which seems to be unobtainable now  :-\

A 150W HPS ballast seems to be the closest match, but I never run it for long, two or three hours or so at the most  :sli:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Alex

View Posts
View Gallery

feel free to ask questions

Re: Does anyone treat fluorescent lamps and HID lamps the same way? « Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 01:57:53 PM » Author: Alex
Hello,
If I have a Lamp i do not have the proper ballast for, I calculate the ballast impeadence needed. When I have that, i find an good ballast combination for that impeadence.  ON HID lamps I would never tolerate mor the 3% difference to the noted nominal data for new lamps voltage and current, I use therfore my PowerLogic PM5100 monitor, as it was way cheaper then a proper power analyzer, however it is a nice bit of kit. For used lamps, that might be adapted according to their state, and how specs drift during a lifespan.

For Fluorescent I do it similar, however im a bit open to tolerance, however more then 5% difference to nominal, I do also not like to use.

Best Reguards

Alex

Glück auf ⚒️

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Does anyone treat fluorescent lamps and HID lamps the same way? « Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 02:06:43 PM » Author: Rommie
Ah well, I wouldn't have a clue how to go about calculating the impedance required, that's a bit too technical for me. But whatever works for you, if you can do it, go for it  8)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Does anyone treat fluorescent lamps and HID lamps the same way? « Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 02:07:33 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I wonder if there is a way to calculate the impedance of an autotransformer ballast.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies