Author Topic: 150w M102 pulse start metal halide fixture with separate choke and transformer!!  (Read 1994 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
150w M102 pulse start metal halide fixture with separate choke and transformer!! « on: March 26, 2022, 04:38:26 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
After being subscribed to Parrot175's youtube channel for a while, I was very surprised and shocked to see that he found a North American 150w M102 pulse start metal halide fixture that was factory wired with a SEPARATE choke ballast coil and a SEPARATE transformer coil in the fixture for ballasting the lamp. I was especially surprised to see this type of ballasting circuit because in North America, most HID ballasts consist of the choke ballast coil and the transformer coil lumped together in one complete iron core. Since he is unfamiliar with this type of ballasting setup, he actually mistakenly referred to both coils as "ballasts". The fixture featured in this video is an American Electric 150w M102 pulse start metal halide floodlight.

Here is the link to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWgAN0eJb5U

If you look closely, the coil with the white label is the transformer while the coil with the red label is the actual 240v series choke ballast.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 04:49:01 AM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: 150w M102 pulse start metal halide fixture with separate choke and transformer!! « Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 07:30:34 AM » Author: dor123
But the series choke is still 60hz, which means that it won't work correctly in 50hz countries.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: 150w M102 pulse start metal halide fixture with separate choke and transformer!! « Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 09:46:12 AM » Author: Rommie
Has anyone said it would..?

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 150w M102 pulse start metal halide fixture with separate choke and transformer!! « Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 01:42:57 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Must've been really expensive at the time too, as PSMH was still relatively young then.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: 150w M102 pulse start metal halide fixture with separate choke and transformer!! « Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 01:47:58 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, must have been a early setup too. Would be interesting to get one of these lights with a separate step up and choke coil.

Some early HPS luminaires also had a similar arrangement. The older HPS Unidors also had a separate transformer and choke coil.

Some early integrally ballasted mercury luminaires were also configured like this. And one of the first F40 fluorescent luminaires had a single step up and dual chokes, one of each lamp.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: 150w M102 pulse start metal halide fixture with separate choke and transformer!! « Reply #5 on: March 26, 2022, 02:16:58 PM » Author: Rommie
That wasn't unusual for fluorescent fixtures here. We used to have a dual 5ft 65W T12 fixture in the garage at my parents' house, it had a completely separate choke ballast and starter for each tube. Of course we didn't have the need to step up the supply voltage as you did.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: 150w M102 pulse start metal halide fixture with separate choke and transformer!! « Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 02:51:27 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
But the series choke is still 60hz, which means that it won't work correctly in 50hz countries.

You are right about that because if a 60hz ballast is operated at the correct voltage at a lower frequency, the core would saturate and cause the choke ballast to overheat.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies