Author Topic: Has anyone missed a lamp out of sheer stupidity?  (Read 960 times)
RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Has anyone missed a lamp out of sheer stupidity? « on: March 28, 2022, 02:10:14 PM » Author: RadiantMV
Well this sucks. I had noticed some 400 watt Sylvania /DX mercury lamps in my ebay feed for months and thought nothing of it, and only today once the lamps had sold I realized that they were actually clearbanders… Am i the only one who has done something like this?
AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Has anyone missed a lamp out of sheer stupidity? « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 05:03:12 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
I was looking at bidding on an old street light in 90 watt SOX, decided against it. No pictures showed the fixture open, but there was clearly a lamp inside the bowl, with the base of it just showing between a gap in the refractors. Only after the auction ended I noticed the lamp in the fixture. Not a 90 watt SOX, but the unmistakable base of the Dewar jacket of the 140 watt SO/H! >:(
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Has anyone missed a lamp out of sheer stupidity? « Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 05:40:04 PM » Author: Rommie
Oh no  :poof:  :'(  :lps:

The only time I missed out was when James told me about a rare MAT/V lamp on eBay. I looked at it, but decided not to bid there and then as the auction still had several days to run and I didn't want to push the price up. I thought I'd leave bidding till later on.

I then saw a couple of days later that the listing had disappeared. It couldn't have sold, as there were still a couple of days or so left on the auction, so I messaged the seller. Apparently, someone had called on him to personally pick up a different purchase, saw the lamp and said "Can I have that as well..?" so the guy took it off eBay (which he was entitled to do as there hadn't been any bids) and sold it to him there and then.

I have never made that mistake again; ALWAYS put in a minimum bid, even if you're prepared to pay more, you can always increase your bid later, or snipe it at the last moment. But a minimum bid will mean the seller can't take the listing down except in very specific circumstances, such as if it's been damaged.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Has anyone missed a lamp out of sheer stupidity? « Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 06:12:47 PM » Author: joseph_125
A while back someone posted a listing of a 400w medium pressure MV lamp with ~20 left for something cheap like $20-30 each. I was on the fence when I first saw it and I wasn't home so I figured I'd decide to get it when I got home so I could go on my computer. Needless to say by the time I got home it was sold out as someone bought 6 of them at once. :curse:

The take away from this story is to decide immediately and hit the buy it now if you see something rare that you're considering getting, otherwise it might be gone by the time you decided.

Hmm with the minimum bid I never considered that. I usually don't bid at all until the last minute as I figured putting in a minimum bid attracts more people to bid which drives up the price. Maybe putting in a min bid at the start and sniping at the very end with your true bid amount might be better.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 06:14:50 PM by joseph_125 » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Has anyone missed a lamp out of sheer stupidity? « Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 06:19:49 PM » Author: Rommie
That's how I usually do it now. Minimum bid when I first see it to stop it being taken down, then snipe with maximum I'm prepared to pay at the end. Usually works, sometimes someone bids higher, but I wouldn't have paid the pricve the item sold for anyway so no loss.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Has anyone missed a lamp out of sheer stupidity? « Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 07:33:48 PM » Author: 108CAM
While I've never missed a lamp out of sheer stupidity, I did miss a 600w HPS fixture when I was out trash picking. I only took the lamp and didn't think twice about taking the ballast box so I could run the lamp. I'm now left with yet another lamp that needs a ballast

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Has anyone missed a lamp out of sheer stupidity? « Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 12:12:02 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
HomeBrewLamps' 100w Westinghouse /X lamp showed up on my eBay feed for WEEKS and I never paid it any attention !! DOH !!!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

NElighting0503

View Posts
View Gallery

Jude - Lighting collector & photographer

UCarc5doN_q6jwc1wqF0oPig
Re: Has anyone missed a lamp out of sheer stupidity? « Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 10:25:09 AM » Author: NElighting0503
Not particularly lamp-related this story, but around 5 and a half years ago the street lighting on my housing estate was getting replaced for Thorn R2L2 LED lanterns. I remember walking past the bucket van parked down the bottom of the footpath and not thinking too much of it, as around this time I was not massively into collecting lanterns, (but still had an interest.) I remember seeing one of the workers pushing down one of the two base-hinged columns (as this was on a footpath, and access via a bucket van was not a viable option.) After about 5 or 10 minutes later he was carrying both of the WRTL 2600 lanterns in his hands. Now only if this happened a year or two after, I probably would've went over there in a heartbeat and would've asked for them; so frustrating!!!

Interested in lighting since 2011,
Collecting since 2018.

🇬🇧 North east England,
230V 50Hz

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Has anyone missed a lamp out of sheer stupidity? « Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 01:33:02 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I just missed a NOS Westy 175w /W lamp !! I forgot about the auction and missed it ! It sold for $12.99 ! :poof: DOH !!!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

RandomCatPerson

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Has anyone missed a lamp out of sheer stupidity? « Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 07:46:32 PM » Author: RandomCatPerson
Not necessarily a lamp but I missed out on a GE form 406 because I doubted what it was until it sold. Now I won't find another.

See me on youtube at Random Cat Person for more content.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYq1jSBuQvMObtCuglqB_6g/videos

Westinghouse is King

Molly

View Posts
View Gallery

The wild Lampent hates LEDs!

mollylovesreptiles UChSn_GuLy2eE43RAiEFyoEw mollylovesreptiles
Re: Has anyone missed a lamp out of sheer stupidity? « Reply #10 on: July 10, 2022, 11:57:55 AM » Author: Molly
There's was a reptile bulb that was 60% off on Amazon and I missed it :(

If you want to use any of my photos, please ask me for permission, and make sure to add credit. Thank you! :love:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies