Author Topic: How do 3-Way CFLs Work?  (Read 2719 times)
lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

How do 3-Way CFLs Work? « on: January 19, 2009, 11:55:25 AM » Author: lightman64
how does a 3-way cfl work? i have one and is very different.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 05:23:21 PM by lightman64 » Logged

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How do 3-Way CFLs Work? « Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 11:38:49 PM » Author: arcblue

Most of them have internal fixed-type dimming circuitry - they just operate the tube at a lower power settings depending on which socket contact is energized (that is, the first & second clicks on a 3-way lamp switch) and full power when both contacts are energized (3rd click).

Some actually use two tubes of two different wattages....like the circline 3-way types.

I'm lampin...

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: How do 3-Way CFLs Work? « Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 05:46:58 PM » Author: lightman64
thats really cool! i always wondered how they worked.

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

Parrot

View Posts
View Gallery
YouTube: Parrot175

Parrot175 parrot175
Re: How do 3-Way CFLs Work? « Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 08:52:23 PM » Author: Parrot
I always wondered how they worked too. Cool to know. I had some they only lasted about 9 months not what it seed on the package.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How do 3-Way CFLs Work? « Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 02:08:15 PM » Author: Medved
Very frequently the dimming (mainly the lowest level) is implemented in very crude way (switching from doubler to bridge rectifier configuration, so lowering the DC voltage for the inverter), so it doesn't maintain correct electrode temperature when dimmed, so they sputter away very quickly...

No more selfballasted c***

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: How do 3-Way CFLs Work? « Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 11:11:26 PM » Author: DieselNut

Most of them have internal fixed-type dimming circuitry - they just operate the tube at a lower power settings depending on which socket contact is energized (that is, the first & second clicks on a 3-way lamp switch) and full power when both contacts are energized (3rd click).

Some actually use two tubes of two different wattages....like the circline 3-way types.

I would love to find a circline like you mentioned.  The type with two lamps of different wattages.  I have a HUGE table lamp that originally had a 100, 200, 300 3-way incandescent in it.  I now just have a 22 watt circline in it.  Would love an "old school" (preheat) 3 way.  I have even thought about building one if I cannot find one!

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How do 3-Way CFLs Work? « Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 01:29:46 AM » Author: Medved
I would be thinking about making one by yourselve:
It would be for FC6T9 and FC8T9, as nothing else then serial choke would not fit (and higher wattages need a HX transformer), or you would have to go electronic
Find a can, that would just fit inside the FC6
Find ballasts for these lamps
Find fired 3-way CFL, cut the bottom part with the socket of the ballast box
Make 2..3 holes into it and bolt it to the ballast can
Put two ballasts (FC6 and FC8 one) there
Put starters socket onto the lid (opposite to the thread socket)

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies