Author Topic: Anyone ever hear about the solar flare?  (Read 1123 times)
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Anyone ever hear about the solar flare? « on: April 21, 2022, 01:08:43 PM » Author: Burrito
I am wondering about if someone heard about it. It might cause power outages

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Anyone ever hear about the solar flare? « Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 06:29:57 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
Something like The Carrington Event may occur, but that is on the very extreme end.
I've heard radio blackouts on one news site, but no electrical ones (yet).
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: Anyone ever hear about the solar flare? « Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 06:30:46 PM » Author: Burrito
Ok, Good! at least no power outages

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone ever hear about the solar flare? « Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 05:08:48 PM » Author: Medved
This risk is widely known in the industry and in most places procedures are in place to limit the consequence to becom just a nuisance. The "worst case scenario" would happen, if nothing wouldn't be done at all and that is not the case anymore. Ironically some cold war era preparation for a possible nuke attack were adressing the same effects on the power grid (high common mode voltages with mainly low frequency components induced into the power lines, causing transformer core saturation and consequent overload events and so blackouts). Countermeasures were the winding style on the transformers (so the center point could be grounded, yet a common mode currents do cancel out with respect to the core magnetic flux), long lines cut into multiple sections (which get temporarily disconnected should such induction happen) and mainly the early warning systems (main mission of the SOHO observatory probe orbitting the sun). The thing is, the power grid was somehow prepared, but the question is about the sattelites. General approach is to "hibernate" them for the event duration, so only the basic timer stays powered, the rest is shut down. That way it is believed the high ionizing radiation won't cause any damage (the biggest thread of radiation is for it to cause a latch up, leading to local thermal destruction of monolithic ICs; the space grade designs are ruggerized, but still have their limits)

No more selfballasted c***

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone ever hear about the solar flare? « Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 03:49:00 PM » Author: marcopete87
I am wondering about if someone heard about it. It might cause power outages
yes, and some years ago happened a minor flare (TV interferences were noticeable).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Halloween_solar_storms
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: Anyone ever hear about the solar flare? « Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 03:49:53 PM » Author: Burrito
I think i heard about this one before.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone ever hear about the solar flare? « Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 12:45:21 AM » Author: tolivac
Power distribution systems have better protection from flare issues than what used to be.Don't worry about it.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies