Author Topic: GE-Savant Bucyrus & Logan closures  (Read 2183 times)
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: GE-Savant Bucyrus & Logan closures « Reply #15 on: April 18, 2022, 11:44:51 PM » Author: 108CAM
Very sad news.
Australia lost it's last lamp factory when Electronic Lamp Manufactures of Australia sadly closed down in 2002. At least we still have Pierlite, the Sylvania Lighting Australia street light factory in Sydney and the Mirabella headquarters in Melbourne but for bulbs and tubes, it's all imported from elsewhere.
Australia has lost many lighting companies over the years. AJ Ferguson and Rymer Lighting are 2 examples of defunct Australian lighting companies

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: GE-Savant Bucyrus & Logan closures « Reply #16 on: April 19, 2022, 06:29:44 AM » Author: Rommie
Sad indeed, I don't think there is anything left here any more  :sadbulb:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: GE-Savant Bucyrus & Logan closures « Reply #17 on: April 19, 2022, 07:39:29 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Maybe not lighting wise, but we still make a huge amount of stuff for a global market, you only have to drive past JCBs monster plants in Stafford as an example  :D

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: GE-Savant Bucyrus & Logan closures « Reply #18 on: April 19, 2022, 01:17:14 PM » Author: Rommie
I meant lighting, but the amount of stuff made here is a tiny fraction of what it once was  :sadbulb:

I know about JCB, went past them when I drove bus trips to Alton Towers from Birmingham. Trying to get up that hill into Alton village at 10mph in an old Metrobus double-decker with 70 or so people on and a queue of cars behind letting rip with their "audible warning devices" was not the most enjoyable thing I've ever done on a Saturday morning  :lol:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: GE-Savant Bucyrus & Logan closures « Reply #19 on: April 19, 2022, 05:27:16 PM » Author: joseph_125
It's like what happened to the lighting industry in Canada too. Back in the 90s, everything from the lamps, ballasts, and the fixtures were all made here. Then ballasts all started to be imported. Then lamps. At least they still build some fixtures here.

There were quite a few lamp plants here back in the day as most common lamps except for SOX was locally produced at one point. GE had their plant in Oakville, Sylvania with their plant in Drummondville, and I think Westinghouse in Trois-Riveres. There were also some smaller outfits such as Westron in the Montreal area focusing on mostly SBMV lamps.

Unfortunately I think all those lamp plants are no more with possible Drummondville be the last one to go. 
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: GE-Savant Bucyrus & Logan closures « Reply #20 on: April 19, 2022, 07:12:26 PM » Author: 108CAM
I have a few Canadian market items in my collection

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: GE-Savant Bucyrus & Logan closures « Reply #21 on: April 20, 2022, 10:47:35 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I meant lighting, but the amount of stuff made here is a tiny fraction of what it once was  :sadbulb:

I know about JCB, went past them when I drove bus trips to Alton Towers from Birmingham. Trying to get up that hill into Alton village at 10mph in an old Metrobus double-decker with 70 or so people on and a queue of cars behind letting rip with their "audible warning devices" was not the most enjoyable thing I've ever done on a Saturday morning  :lol:
Yeah I have to give you 20 out of 10 for that!  8), that very tight RH then LH bend through Alton village is the LAST place I’d like to take a bus round!  :poof:

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies