Author Topic: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times?  (Read 4526 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « on: April 25, 2022, 05:17:41 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
In recent months, I am starting to notice that fewer members are commenting on pictures about fluorescent lighting and I see that more people are paying attention to HID lighting instead nowadays. I have seen that about 5 to 10 years ago, people paid as much attention as they did to fluorescent lighting as much as they did to HID lighting. Why is this happening?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 10:57:43 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Could be there have been more 'finds' of HID recently..
Or could be the fact that some of the older members who were more into fluorescent have left the site(or atleast don't visit as often.)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 01:22:51 AM » Author: 108CAM
I still love fluorescents! It's my favourite non HID light source 

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 12:57:16 PM » Author: dor123
HID lamps much more interesting me than fluorescents.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 01:11:45 AM » Author: Silverliner
Fluorescent not dead to me! I love em!

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 02:28:16 PM » Author: High Intensity
I still like Fluorescent, the only issue is I haven't been posting a lot lately, mostly due to my own interest in posting here, which has been kind of low as of late.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 12:20:38 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I am seeing this evidence by some members drowning out listings for fluorescent lamps on ‘web finds’ by flooding the thread with North American HID lamp listings and I am also seeing fewer replies on ‘web finds’ listings for fluorescent listings when compared to HID lamp listings in that same thread.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 01:11:22 PM » Author: James
The fluorescent collectors community seems to be alive and well, but just migrated away from LG to other sites following the departure of several dozen deeply experienced former members.  If you are able to check the lighting forums of other countries and the social media platforms where they now reside, I think you would be pleasantly surprised to find that the collectors with deep fluorescent experience are still very active!

I can also understand that for the present influx of younger collectors on LG, old HID lamps might seem more interesting than FL because there are such notable visible differences in their construction and lighted appearance.  Whereas for fluorescents, they all look rather similar.  Perhaps the older collectors who remember the development and introduction of new fluorescent lamps understand and recognise the subtle but fascinating design differences in phosphor blends, colour rendering, gasfill types, ignition methods etc.  It really used to be a big breakthrough years ago when a fluorescent lamp became 5% more efficient, or achieved a few more points on the CRI scale!  But those small changes must take a lot of effort for a new collector to discover and understand, although its good to see that so many younger collectors are still interested.  Just a shame that LG lost so many skilled collectors who have the deep knowledge, and their information is now fragmented over many other sites.
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Euro-Bulbs.net

Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 01:15:35 PM » Author: Econolite03
Well said James. I don’t mind fluorescent, I just don’t have the fixtures for them nor the space. Now compact fluorescents (CFLs) have actually drawn my interest again, such as the evolution from the SLs, to the Compaxs, then the Helicals.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 02:13:57 PM » Author: Rommie
I don't mind fluorescent lighting, it is after all a form of discharge lighting. But personally, I've never been that interested in collecting it, for two main reasons. Firstly, lack of space; 4ft tubes and upwards take up a lot of storage space, which we simply don't have here. We have two or three 5ft 65/80W T12 BC-cap tubes, which I fondly remember from my childhood, and a few Philips TL-X 40W tubes that run off tungsten ballast lamps, but that's it, really.

The other reason is, they simply haven't grabbed my attention as much as my all time favourite LPS (SOX, SO/H, SOI/H and particularly linear SLI/H) have. I do enjoy looking at other people's collections though, so please keep posting them  :lfl:  :bulbman:

Oh yes, CFL's. I do like these, particularly the old magnetically ballasted Philips SL "Jam Jar" lamps, and the wonderful coloured spiral lamps that are common in the US.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #10 on: May 11, 2022, 01:54:08 AM » Author: Beta 5
For me, fluorescent is my favourite light source of all. The huge range of types, colours, control gear and the many types of fittings for them are all things that interest me.
I am especially fond of Halophosphor tubes and the appearance they give a fitting and the area it lights. 2D and PL compact fluorescents are also very interesting, with the wide range of fittings and applications they have been used for.

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #11 on: May 11, 2022, 02:13:41 AM » Author: joseph_125
I still have quite a few of fluorescent lights in use and have a decent number of tubes stashed away but I suppose the main reason I haven't posted anything new is aside from buying new lamps to put into use, I really haven't found anything collection worthy for a while. If you look into my gallery of fluorescent lamps, I already have a lot of unique fluorescents. There's still a few things in my to collect list, but with good finds far and between I don't know when I'll end up stumbling upon them. If I happen upon something like a louvered fluorescent fixture or anything PG or T17 I'll probably get it. This applies only to local finds though, fluorescent lamps are large enough to be too expensive to ship compared to HID lamps.

I suppose the other reason is that fluorescent lamp usage out in the wild is on a sharp decline ever since LED retrofit tubes became cost effective so younger members are less exposed to it. Some of the things about fluorescent lighting that caught lighting enthusiast's eyes in the past such as seeing EOL shows, mass startups of preheat and rapid start fluorescents are a thing of the past. 
mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #12 on: May 13, 2022, 10:13:08 PM » Author: mdcastle
I guess I've always viewed fluorescent tubes as as strictly utilitarian and they all look alike to me, and fluorescents are more difficult to ship and store than HID, incandescent, or LED. I do appreciate some of the early, quirky CFLs like the Philips SL, but CFLs eventually got boring too.
NElighting0503

View Posts
View Gallery

Jude - Lighting collector & photographer

UCarc5doN_q6jwc1wqF0oPig
Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #13 on: May 14, 2022, 07:12:23 AM » Author: NElighting0503
If anything I have gotten a lot more interested in fluorescent lighting than HID now. I have recently got a few 250W MH lamps that I was able to salvage from a few low bay lanterns which were situated in my local and now demolished farm's barn house.

I think also another reason for my increasing interest in fluorescent lighting is because of the life tests, as doing life tests with SON/SOX/MH lamps is much more difficult as they cause so much light-spill into my neighbours' gardens and I don't fancy trying to ruin their quality of sleep with a glaringly bright 250W SON lamp on all night! Collecting more fluorescent lighting too also allows me to stockpile on tubes/CFLs needed for the bulkheads and fittings placed in and around my shed for future re-lamping, and incase I want to have a change in tack on the colour temperatures as I'm currently using cool white for my main task lighting and warm white for my 9w PL-S bulkhead by my shed door and my 8w T5 bulkhead around the back of my shed.

Interested in lighting since 2011,
Collecting since 2018.

🇬🇧 North east England,
230V 50Hz

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #14 on: July 01, 2022, 05:08:45 AM » Author: 108CAM
Lately I've noticed many photos of fluorescent stuff becoming lost among the abundance of SOX lamps and fixtures that have started to dominate the gallery

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies