Author Topic: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times?  (Read 4449 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #15 on: July 01, 2022, 07:19:37 AM » Author: Rommie
People's interests change over time. One day it'll be incandescents, then another week it'll be MV, or LPS or whatever. I'm sure fluorescent lamps will reappear at some stage.  :stirfl:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

davidnonledfan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #16 on: July 17, 2022, 11:25:26 PM » Author: davidnonledfan
I am not depreciating any lighting. I like fluorescent lighting because it isn't best for it to be used outdoors at all, but HID is mainly outdoor or indoor industrial however, not to sound rude but I do find it slightly funny hearing that some members here favor certain lighting more than other lighting. Personally for me, I can care less about favoring one lighting because having HID in your house everywhere is silly and not well on the eyes because of the brightness, so that's why I prefer incandescent, halogen or compact fluorescent, and some linear fluorescent for indoor household use. But for outdoor use, I like all HPS, MH, and the beloved 175w Lifeguard MV lamp that can last a century. If anyone can tell by looking at my gallery is that I post just about any lights because I truly like all lighting. I don't even mind LEDs as certain LEDs can last a long time too and I don't mind them also as long as they aren't replacing existing non-LED lighting that is still perfectly working.

20 years old and I love old phones and lighting. I love filament/ incandescent shaped LEDs and regular LED tube LEDs on a magnetic ballast. I don't do well with the all in one integrated world. Catch me eventually using T17 lighting at my own place

Gearjammer
Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #17 on: July 21, 2022, 01:50:19 AM » Author: Gearjammer
I find this a good topic as lately I've become very involved in collecting fluorescents.
I like all forms of lighting for different reasons but even though my interest in incandescent is strong I'm shifting a lot of my attention towards fluorescents and getting a good collection going especially with colored fluorescent tubes.
But having said all this I'm only interested in T12, no other sizes, except of course Powergroove tubes.
I recently posted several rare tubes but for the most part they generated little interest.
That saddens me because I always thought of both incandescent and fluorescent as the true lighting workhorses.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #18 on: July 21, 2022, 08:39:20 AM » Author: Rommie
I'm the same with T12's, never really been interested in other sizes. Not collected too many though, simply because of the size of them. Anything longer than about 2ft is hard to store when you don't have a lot of space and what you do have is mostly filled up with other lamps  :lol:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #19 on: August 01, 2022, 11:49:09 PM » Author: 108CAM
It's likely a combination of multiple things like:
SOX/LPS lamps going out of production which has motivated people to save what they can and post pictures of it.
The desire to save anything HID related before it meets the same fate as SOX and prices skyrocket.
Rare tubes like Power Grooves are often very expensive and difficult to ship due to their size.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Lightfan95

View Posts
View Gallery

kyleheavner95
Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #20 on: August 31, 2022, 01:32:42 AM » Author: Lightfan95
While I've always had a mad love for HID's, I do have a sweet spot for t-12 flourescent fixtures. I've even started a stockpile of four foot fixtures as I've been replacing them with LED units at the fire department I'm in. They're not dead yet, don't worry.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #21 on: August 31, 2022, 01:52:42 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
My lighting activities have for the most part died down for the time being. This is due largely in part to my collection having reached maturity, so I already have most of the lights I wanted. I do pick up a few odds and ends here and there, as well as some on ebay like with the F20 coloured lamps, but the days of weekly restore hauls are come and gone.

Other reasons such as the interesting lighting being significantly more scarce now compared to a decade ago and concerns about storage space in my current living arrangements are also a factor.

In the future when I'm ready to start using my collection, I'll be much more active with install updates etc. My collection is intended to be fully used. With "samples" of rare / good lamps left behind to preserve. Theres also a possibility some of my collection will still exist by the time I'm old... So I imagine whats left will just be sold off with whatever else i own before they stick me in a home.

Administrator #5

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #22 on: August 31, 2022, 02:37:40 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
I love fluorescents, but lack the space for them. I have a lifetime supply of some of the most basic types as well as fixtures for them, but I don't really intend to get more. I still want a little bit more, but only to make some things in the category I have useful (lamps for a fixture, fixtures for lamps).

I loved them when I started collecting them. Got a whole bunch, only to realize I will run out of space for other lighting technologies plus the lack of vintage fluorescent stuff locally nowadays made me tone done my fluorescent collecting a lot.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 02:43:18 AM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #23 on: August 31, 2022, 05:05:30 AM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, I think after I finally got a louvered fixture, my fluorescent collection more or less had been complete in terms of easy to get fixture types. The issue is a lot of vintage fluorescent equipment is hard to find locally and they're large enough to be impractical to get shipped.

Most Restore/resale listings in terms of fluorescents are rather generic strip lights, troffers, wraparounds, stuff that I already have. A lot of stuff for sale is electronically ballasted too which isn't as charming from a collecting perspective compared to the vintage stuff.

The other issue is the fluorescent stuff I already have takes up quite a bit of room and if I were to acquire more I'd start to run into problems figuring out where to store it, especially 8 footers, which I don't really collect for that reason.   
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #24 on: August 31, 2022, 05:08:36 AM » Author: 108CAM
I've got good supplies of all the common sizes except F40T12. Still waiting for a trash pile that has someone's old stash of F40's that they decided to throw away.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

1925-2002

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #25 on: September 01, 2022, 12:35:31 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
I still love Fluorescents & Christmas lights.
I really don't have space for much more (of either)...that stuff takes a ton of space. Plus I just don't see much I'm interested in anymore (which is actually a good thing due to the mentioned lack of space).

Plus there's these:
I'm also kinda bored with lights right now.
And fact is I'm old & worn out. Who knows how many years I have left til EOL (at times I feel like not allot)..

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #26 on: September 01, 2022, 03:54:06 AM » Author: 108CAM
I think the interest in fluorescent lamps will bounce back someday. I've had an interest in fluorescent lighting for as long as I can remember and the interest continues to grow with me.
And yes, I know the 8 footers are a pain to store. I have one and it's been leaning against the wall in one of the corners of my bedroom.

1925-2002

Men of God

View Posts
View Gallery

jiachao.wei.71 chao_813975447 UChyTpXvlQ8ZCfBPP_lJjubg chao990613
回复:为什么荧光灯最近在LG上越来越不受欢迎? « Reply #27 on: December 11, 2022, 03:28:57 AM » Author: Men of God
我也喜欢收集荧光灯,但是实际上荧光灯需要占用很大的存储空间,我收集灯具和镇流器比较多一点,灯管收藏的比较少,因为我并不喜欢CRI低于80的荧光灯,所以我只收集三基色荧光粉或者高CRI的灯管。

我不会英文,所以我用中文,请你们用翻译网站翻译我打的字!

I can't in English, so I in Chinese, please use the translation website to translate my words!

tcz

View Posts
View Gallery
Tom

Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #28 on: December 11, 2022, 11:17:56 AM » Author: tcz
lack of space to store fluorescent tube, less than ten tubes in my collection. :-\
没有空间存放荧光灯管,我收藏的灯管不到十个
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Why is fluorescent lighting becoming less appreciated on LG in recent times? « Reply #29 on: December 11, 2022, 06:28:00 PM » Author: Silverliner
Lose interest in fluorescent tubes? Not me. Never!

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies