Author Topic: Confusion with MH lamps  (Read 846 times)
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Confusion with MH lamps « on: April 28, 2022, 02:11:56 AM » Author: 108CAM
In Australia, we don't have the handy codes that the USA has. I've seen pictures of these codes and it makes finding a replacement lamp much easier. Just buy a lamp that matches the ballast code. In Australia, it's harder because we don't have ballast codes. All we have to rely on is the confusing jumbles of letters and numbers on the packaging and etch which is made more confusing because each manufacturer has their own codes. It's worse when the etch rubs off and I can't tell if the lamp is MH or MV
I'll use my 70w MH lamps as an example.
They are both 70 watts, one is coated and one is clear.
The clear lamp says MH/P 70W/640.
The coated lamp says MP 70W/CO4K.
All I can tell from what I see is 2 70w MH lamps, a clear lamp and a coated lamp.
I have nothing to indicate pulse start lamps, burn position or if it's some special self igniting lamp designed to run on MV gear. There's also very little info online that tells me in simple terms what all the codes mean or if vertical burn means base up or base down. It's no wonder why we see so many mislamped fixtures and HPS fixtures with MH lamps inside. It also doesn't help with the fact I'm trying to stock up on HPS and MV lamps and only get MH lamps that I don't feel safe using because I'm scared i'll use it on the incorrect gear by mistake and cause the lamp to explode. I still like to collect MH lamps because they look interesting and come in many different variations. It's just Australia's lack of an easy to use quick reference code system makes it so hard to find the correct lamp. I wish we had ballast codes here in Aus.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Confusion with MH lamps « Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 02:20:57 AM » Author: dor123
70W MH lamps usually operates on 70W HPS ballast + ignitor.
I think both are universal burning.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Confusion with MH lamps « Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 02:21:58 AM » Author: 108CAM
Thanks!

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Confusion with MH lamps « Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 07:25:20 AM » Author: Medved
When using with open fixture, double check whether the lamp is rated for open fixture (these will have rather thick quartz protection tube around the arctube) or for enclosed only (no protection element around the arctube, just the outer).

Otherwise officially MH lamps require ballast protection against the lamp rectifying (thermal cut out or at least a slow blow fuse/breaker of 2x the nominal arc current rating, so 2A for a 70W).

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies