Author Topic: 1000w H34 mercury vapor lamp/ballast system tripping 15a 120v circuits  (Read 1920 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
1000w H34 mercury vapor lamp/ballast system tripping 15a 120v circuits « on: January 01, 2022, 05:25:46 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Since I am well aware that North American 1000w H34 mercury vapor lamps run at twice the current and half the arc drop of North American 1000w H36 mercury vapor lamps, I am wondering if a 1000w H34 mercury vapor lamp with any 120v autotransformer ballast will trip the breaker on a typical North American 15a circuit. Does this mean that I should have issues running 1000w H34 mercury vapor lamps on a 15a 120v circuit with a proper 120v input autotransformer ballast designed for such lamps?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 1000w H34 mercury vapor lamp/ballast system tripping 15a 120v circuitsj « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 09:22:43 AM » Author: funkybulb
  U need do some electrical math here

Remember Volt x Amps = watts

So a 15 amp breaker and u know voltage is

120 V x 15A = 1800 watts

Meaning U dont want any thing else on circuit running at same
 Time.

Newer houses now days been having 20 amp bedroom circuit.  Due electric portable space heaters or window A/c and computers or TV that would Trip a normal 15 A breaker.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Alex

View Posts
View Gallery

feel free to ask questions

Re: 1000w H34 mercury vapor lamp/ballast system tripping 15a 120v circuits « Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 12:21:15 PM » Author: Alex
Hello WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA,

basically funkybulb gave you the answer however he took one thing out of consideration. 120x15A = 1800VA, VA being volt amps. You can have a "load" of 1800VA and drawing a current of 15A and still have not a single Watt of power dissipation. Possible is this for example with an (ideal)  inductor or a large capacitor. If you ad inductance or capacitance in an AC Circuit you creat reactive power and blind current. reactive current is an current. This current is flowing thruw you conductors between it sources and the effecting component, it is flowing with all the consequence, and inducing loses and wear on the system, however it cannot be used to do work. Your ballast is also producing reactive current, this is why you put capacitors in parallel to the input (line), to compensate these reactive currents.
So the question is how much reactive current does your ballast produce? Well thats what the power factor says to you, that information is missing.

However i don't think  that the current flowing to the line to your lamp (The geometrical addition of reactive and real power) will reach 15A. But I can't tell.

The second thing, a circuit breaker will not break the circuit immediately if it is slightly overloaded. Every breaker has a time current chart wich shows how long an overload must be present until a trips. If you would draw a few amps over it creating it can still take 30min to several hours according to its exact rating and timecurve. Is it good to overload a cable even for short time? Certainly not. So think carefully what your doing, your responsible for it.

Best regards Alex

Glück auf ⚒️

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 1000w H34 mercury vapor lamp/ballast system tripping 15a 120v circuits « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 03:29:44 AM » Author: Medved
And even when the ballast is perfectly compensated with the lamp stabilized, its power factor is not unity. With discharge ballasts there is always quite significant current distortion (series choke yields triangular wave instead of the sine, the CWA will be way more spikey). On top of that the CWA is phase compensated only at one single particular mains voltage (I would expect at the minimum, to prevent current dropping with voltage going up, which could lead to instabilities in larger installations with some accumulated Neutral resistance). Any other and the result is quite significant reactive power.
 So it is very likely a 1500W load will exceed the 1800VA.
Plus the compensation goes through the window when the lamp has not warmed up yet.
All together, the general rule is to size the feed circuit VA rating for 2x the lamp power. So a 1500W lamp need 3000VA rated circuit, so 25A rated breaker and wiring at 120V.

If the lamp is of European vs US spec does not matter (provided the ballast is matching the lamp), as the different voltages and currents get transformed by the ballast to about the same anyway.

No more selfballasted c***

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: 1000w H34 mercury vapor lamp/ballast system tripping 15a 120v circuits « Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 10:22:22 PM » Author: 108CAM
Maybe check to see what else is plugged into the circuit. The 1000 watts drawn by the lamp can easily cause an overload if something else like a microwave is plugged into the same circuit as the light and is allowed to run while the light bulb is drawing lots of current as it warms up.
Another thing to check is if an RCD is connected to the circuit. You may have a ballast that's close to EOL and is producing residual current which will trip an RCD protected circuit
Also, check to make sure you didn't accidently wire something backwards

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies