Author Topic: I don't like FCO lighting changing the way street lights look...  (Read 1144 times)
Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

HID lighting is the best!!!

I don't like FCO lighting changing the way street lights look... « on: September 04, 2023, 12:35:53 AM » Author: Robotjulep
After nearly every fixture in my area was replaced with LED, the streets looked uglier. They are nothing but floating "spades" at this point. FCO HID was an exception but it still wasn't as classic as semi-cutoff HPS and MV cobraheads, which in my opinion looked the best. Why is the lighting industry making their abominations (LEDs) more abominable? Can they at least design them with a diffuser bowl instead of refractor like a semi-cutoff cobrahead? They don't even retrofit semi-cutoff cobraheads in my area, they just toss them. It is just wastefulness. I have seen better LED retrofits when I lived in Japan compared to the US. The retrofit consists of removing the ballast which is usually pole-mounted and then wiring direct power to the socket. After that, you just screw in a convex-shaped LED retrofit lamp that is shielded and it keeps the original look. They are also quite well-made, convincing me that these LED "convex" lamps are much better than the LED "COB" lamps that have a high-failure rate. In conclusion, my guess on why semi-cutoff streetlights are disappearing is because of "Dark Sky Compliance" and it looks like they show no signs of returning.

An example of LED "convex" retrofit lamp: https://shorturl.at/dvGT1

I collect:
Light bulbs, fixtures, and gear,
Electric motors (Preferably AC induction motors),
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: I don't like FCO lighting changing the way street lights look... « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 12:58:33 AM » Author: Richmond2000
my town is full of GE evolve and I would take FCO HID over them any day BAD glair and the beam is straight down and you are out of the light before the NEXT lantern so bright dark over and over
LED light chips are a pointed light source and NOT an "omni directional" one so the fixture has to INCREASE the beam angle NOT "control" it like with a lightbulb / tube 
Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

HID lighting is the best!!!

Re: I don't like FCO lighting changing the way street lights look... « Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 12:39:10 PM » Author: Robotjulep
Is almost as if LED lighting is only good for floodlights and spot lights unless properly diffused/shielded.

I collect:
Light bulbs, fixtures, and gear,
Electric motors (Preferably AC induction motors),
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: I don't like FCO lighting changing the way street lights look... « Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 03:43:19 AM » Author: Richmond2000
the GE evolve do NOT have ANY lenses for beam forming beyond the chips them selves some newer and IMHO better ones use a lens over a COB chip to gain beam angle from the COB assembly (NEW Eaton and AEL autobahn as an example)
Talbus1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I don't like FCO lighting changing the way street lights look... « Reply #4 on: October 19, 2023, 08:44:51 AM » Author: Talbus1
Holophane makes the LEDgend 2 which has a diffuser or whatever you call that.
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: I don't like FCO lighting changing the way street lights look... « Reply #5 on: October 19, 2023, 12:09:24 PM » Author: HIDLad001
The Autobahn ATBX, ATBS, ATBM, and ATBL all have the option for a prismatic glass "refractor" to even out the light from the COB chip and make it less glary.
Leotek makes the ComfortView and ComfortGuide that have frosted diffusers that go over the LED array. They are still FCO, but they are a lot less glary.

HID Fixtures should stay HID!
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies