Author Topic: When a fluorescent tube loses vacuum, does it release mercury?  (Read 1117 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
When a fluorescent tube loses vacuum, does it release mercury? « on: April 04, 2022, 04:21:31 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
After knowing that some fluorescent tubes lose vacuum when they go EOL, I wonder if they release any mercury vapor and any buffer gases like argon into the surrounding environment just like they would if they get broken.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: When a fluorescent tube loses vacuum, does it release mercury? « Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 05:39:12 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I would say so?, if air has got in somewhere then the contents of the tube can get out the same way, although I wouldn’t say it’s in any high amount to be dangerous?
I had an 11 watt CFL in my pocket a couple of weeks ago, and knelt down to pick something up, breaking the tube in my pocket in the process!
Didn’t get any adverse effects from it though  ;)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 05:42:29 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: When a fluorescent tube loses vacuum, does it release mercury? « Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 08:05:15 AM » Author: sol
Once the vacuum loss is complete, the pressure equalises between the inside and outside of the lamp.  There is not really anything to force the mercury out of the lamp so the risk is minimal. However, there is an opening so it is not impossible…
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: When a fluorescent tube loses vacuum, does it release mercury? « Reply #3 on: April 04, 2022, 08:08:48 AM » Author: Rommie
The amount in a single lamp isn't really worth worrying about. If you smash a pallet-load of lamps then yes, but one tube or CFL isn't going to kill you.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: When a fluorescent tube loses vacuum, does it release mercury? « Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 08:29:01 AM » Author: dor123
The pressure in the lamp is very low, so when the lamp losing vacuum, nothing escape, but air leaks in instead.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: When a fluorescent tube loses vacuum, does it release mercury? « Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 02:29:10 PM » Author: AngryHorse
The amount in a single lamp isn't really worth worrying about. If you smash a pallet-load of lamps then yes, but one tube or CFL isn't going to kill you.
I was more concerned about the lamp than my own health!  :lol: :lol:, I was gutted I’d broke a GE Biax, something I now consider as ‘rare’!  ::) :cflstickhd:

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

Resolutely crack down on inferior LED lighting!!

GoL
Re: When a fluorescent tube loses vacuum, does it release mercury? « Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 03:00:19 AM » Author: bulb_tester2009
But the amalgam capsule inside the lamp, once broken, can create dangerous metal leaks

I've been collecting light bulbs since I was 2 years old and I've been collecting them ever since.
 :hps::hps::hps:
由于我来自中国,所以英语不精通,大部分内容都是翻译的,所以可能不通顺,请大家谅解
Note:
Bulb base in China:E12(CES) E14(SES) B22d(BC) E27(ES) E40(GES)

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: When a fluorescent tube loses vacuum, does it release mercury? « Reply #7 on: May 13, 2022, 03:22:36 AM » Author: Medved
The amalgam pellet would have to be leached by some water or so. Otherwise the amalgams generally tend to attract the mercury back, so I would not be affraid that much

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies